1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Y5 data handling (bar graph) plenary - lack of ideas!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by chocolate_cupcake, Feb 25, 2009.

1. Hi everyone,
    I'm a student teacher and I'm getting observed by my supervising tutor on Friday teaching a Y5 class data handling. It's the first lesson of a new block so it is more a revision session than introducing anything new. At the class teacher's request, they are going to be making bar charts using their geography homework based on the amount of water used in their own homes. I have planned the starter and all the teacher input before the main task, but have no idea what to do as a plenary! We are not expecting the children to get the bar charts finished in the lesson as there is quite a lot of data, so they will be taking them home to finish off as homework. I would ideally like to concentrate my plenary on bar charts, but am struggling to think of anything engaging. Has anyone ever done a really great plenary based on this?
    Thanks

2. Hi everyone,
    I'm a student teacher and I'm getting observed by my supervising tutor on Friday teaching a Y5 class data handling. It's the first lesson of a new block so it is more a revision session than introducing anything new. At the class teacher's request, they are going to be making bar charts using their geography homework based on the amount of water used in their own homes. I have planned the starter and all the teacher input before the main task, but have no idea what to do as a plenary! We are not expecting the children to get the bar charts finished in the lesson as there is quite a lot of data, so they will be taking them home to finish off as homework. I would ideally like to concentrate my plenary on bar charts, but am struggling to think of anything engaging. Has anyone ever done a really great plenary based on this?
    Thanks

3. Could you have an interpretation activity (completing the data-handling cycle)?
    I'm presuming the x axis has categories such as "bathing" and "cooking"? If so, could you have an activity where pupils have to match the household's bar chart to a description of the inhabitants. For example, "Jill lives here and she is a car fanatic" with bar chart B which shows x amount of water is used on washing a car each week.
    Or could you display a bar chart to the whole class and ask them to make statements about what they think the inhabitants are like?

4. sueemc

sueemc New commenter

is your focus totally on building the bar charts? could you make a game where they had to sort out the charts (missing their titles/some axis info) - giving them the right title and labels (axes) to place on (cut them out of paper, or else, if you're a whizz on ppt build an iwb game?) this really makes them think and 'work' out what the charts could be.. you couod prepare a few water-based ones - they'll also get a good idea of how their homework is to be completed!

5. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Lead commenter

if your not a whizz then do some interpretaton work on bar charts.....ie present a bar completed/imcomplete bar chart and ask questions or get them to ask questions.
    What can they see, what info will it tell us, why will it /wont it answer our question? What is missing, could we have presented this in another/better way?

6. I have a point presentation where a bar graph is slowly reveled. The children have a card each with some data on (some are a correct picture of the bar chart, others aren't) and they have to sit down when there card is no longer a representation of what is being revealed on the bar chart. It promotes loads of discussion as to why have you sat down or why are you still standing etc.
    Does this make sense
    I could e-mail it to you if you like.

7. I would love to see your ppt please - it sounds good. Could you email it to me please? Thanks, Carole

8. Hi,

Have been reading your message from 26.2.09 with regards to your powerpoint for data handling. We have ofsted in on Thursday 4th June and I m doing a data handling lesson. I aman HLTA and have kind of been dropped in at the deep end. Would be grateful if you could let me have a look at your powerpoint. I hope you see this in time.

Thanks

9. please can i be sent a copy of the data handling powerpoint too please?
    Thanks

10. I don't know if you are still offering to share your powerpoint but if I could have a copy that would be fab [​IMG] exactly what I was looking for!

cheeky_nicki@hotmail.com

Thanks in advance!

11. Hi, i also think this is a great idea and wondered if i could get a copy if this is still available? my email is Jennaholden8@hotmail.com
    many thanks

12. uppereastside

uppereastside New commenter

Hi, you could display a bar chart with mistakes e.g. no title, bar widths different, scale not right, missing axis label, and ask chn what is wrong and how could they make it correct?

13. Hi, just came across your great idea! I realise that this is 2 years on, but if you have a copy of the powerpoint presentation, would you mind sending it onto me? Thanks, Nicola

14. Oops, email address is; nikki_turner@hotmail.com

15. Hi,

I realise it is two years on but could I possibly get a copy of that ppt? I have an observation lesson on data handling yr5 and plenaries is a target of mine to improve! eckkk!

keoghserh@yahoo.ie

16. Long shot - do you still have a copy of your data handling ppt? Sounds like fun!!
    cathrine.barrows@gmail.com

17. hi i know you posted this a long time ago but would it be possible to have a look at it. my email is amy_willetts2004@hotmail.com. thanks in advance :)

18. Hi there. I just came across this thread and it seems like your idea of what you have done has got a lot of people intrigued including me! :) if you don't mind, please could you send me a copy of your powerpoint too. I am a student and would be so grateful. Thank You. My email address is hotmailer_85@hotmail.com