1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Y5/6 Maths lesson-ratio and proportion-maths help needed!!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by SIRFRANK, Mar 15, 2011.

1. Hi, just wondered if anybody had any really good ideas for a lesson on this, and I am being observed (ratio and proportion) for a mixed 5/6 class from level 3b to 5b-we have looked at reading, writing and drawing ratios and proportions, converting into fractions etc
    Just wonderd rather than just give them word problems on Thurs if there was anything else interactive, and real life context based which I could differentiate 3 ways and result in positive pupil progress and outcomes. Many thanks.

2. mich21761

mich21761 New commenter

you could try using a recipe that will serve 4 and get them to work out the proportions for a larger gp. Hope this helps

3. flickaz

flickaz New commenter

I would do this. Possibly extend to actually following the recipes and making the cake (for eg) to see if it works.

4. Like suggested above I used a recipe and got the children to scale up/dpwn. I used fruit juice cocktails and linked in with capacity. Good luck!

5. I did a lesson with my year 5s last year which involved them making cordial using ratios. They then tasted them and decided which was best.

They had to measure the cup first and then work out how much 1 part cordial and 4 parts water / 2 parts cordial & 3 parts water etc.

They really enjoyed it and didn't realise they were learning. Good practice for measuring capacity as well.