1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Y4 subtraction observation

Discussion in 'Primary' started by misspretty, Apr 19, 2011.

1. I am being observed after Easter holidays for Perf. Man and was planned in October to be on subtraction in Summer 1 after whole school work on the theme. However subtraction INSET and policies not changed and I have taught subtraction each term already. I have taught number lines, expanded method (partitioning) and compact method; both involving borrowing. How do I teach subtraction again so that the chn are seen to be 'learning something new' and that hits all abilities; I have 2b to 4a! Please advise as this is playing on my mind and spoiling a wonderful break.
    Thanks in advance

2. Thank you all, I thought about using word problems but so much more to them than just teaching subtraction: RUCSAC etc but money is always a great medium. I have the chn working on their 'most efficient' method but to them that always means the quickest method, that doesnt necessarily get the right answer. I might get them paired up to teach someone else their chosen method and explain why it works for them before trying to move them on.