1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Y4 stories with historical settings - especially Romans!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by teaplease, Oct 21, 2007.

1. I need to plan this for next half term - has anybody taught this who could let me know what worked well?

tea.please@ntlworld.com

2. I need to plan this for next half term - has anybody taught this who could let me know what worked well?

tea.please@ntlworld.com

3. life_on_mars

life_on_mars New commenter

You have 3 weeks of plans in your in box!! X

4. jog_on

jog_on New commenter

We used Beowulf to fit in with Anglo Saxons topic. Battle scenes and dialogues worked best!

5. I have a list with things like this on. I downloaded it after searching for recommended texts, issues and dilemmas. It's a really useful list.

The Romans books its got are...

Across the Roman Wall (Theresa Breslin
    The Thieves of Ostia (Caroline Lawrence)
    The Pirates of Pompeii (Caroline Lawrence)

And then I am off to the liubrary to find tomorrow are...

The Time Travelling Cat and the Roman Eagle (Julia Jarman)
    The GOose Guards (Terry Deary)

I haven't used these texts yet, but it may be a starting point. We are going to use them as class readers and comprehension stuff cos we are doing boring old non fiction mostly this half term. boo hiss.
    Good luck!

6. Thanks for the ideas!

7. life_on_mars

You have mail...X

8. life_on_mars

You have mail...X

9. Thank you so much!

10. Hi there, I'm about to teach romans/stories with historical settings next term, I'm wondering if you still have the plans? I know it's a long time ago, but thought I'd ask!

Merry Christmas!

dkat83@gmail.com

11. Please could you possibly send these to me please?

elin.benyon@hotmail.co.uk x

12. hobgoblintc

hobgoblintc New commenter

How's about a visit from a theatre company to really inspire the children?
    We have all sorts of shows that would work. Our Romans play is called "The Wall" and is set up near Hadrian's Wall. It is lots of fun as well as having loads of fun facts in it.
    Have a look at our website (www.hobgoblintheatrecompany.co.uk) if you want to see more about what we do including testimonials and photos etc
    Kind regards
    Dan
    Hobgoblin Theatre Company

13. paul_mc1

paul_mc1 New commenter

14. Hi,
    It depends on the ability of your class but I used Escape from Pompeii by Christina Bailit as an introduction and basis for story structure/boxing up and planning their own stories. I also bought the set of Roman Mysteries books by Caroline Lawrence and read one of these as a class story throughout the unit and had the others available for guided reading/independent reading. This is also a childrens TV series on CBBC which is excellent for settings and access for EAL/low ability however the books are quite challenging but fine for higher ability readers. My children loved this!

Good Luck and enjoy!

15. Hello! Please could you send me the planning? Yr 4 Romans is our topic this term and i would be verrrry appreciative! Thank you xx

16. Is there any chance that you still have the planning? If so, please could I have a copy to give me some ideas? thanks beckywalton85@hotmail.com

17. smiley786

smiley786 New commenter

Please may i have a copy too

Anisamotala@hotmail.com