1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Y4 Multiplication Test

Discussion in 'Primary' started by hotchoc6, Jun 18, 2019.

1. hotchoc6

hotchoc6 Occasional commenter

Has anyone completed this test with their class? How did your pupils find it?

2. KeishaBecky

KeishaBecky New commenter

Not my year group but my school have been preparing for the test since the beginning of the academic year (mainly focusing on the current Year 3s as they are the first year group that the tests ‘count’ for).

Current Y4s are in the process of taking the test now and so far, so good. They have had lots of practice using apps that are similarly presented to the official test and this has helped immensely- they are used to it.

3. hotchoc6

Thank you for your reply.

I heard that they can practise on the test website before taking the prior test. How do you access this?

4. KeishaBecky

KeishaBecky New commenter

I believe there is a practice area at the test website here:

https://multiplication-tables-check-trial.service.gov.uk/sign-in

Not actually administering the test myself so not 100% sure. I know that there are a lot of programs like Times Table Rock Stars, and I believe something on ******, that deliver test in a similar style as the official test.

5. cornflake

cornflake Established commenter

via NCA tools

6. hotchoc6

Thank you for your replies. Does anyone know how we will receive pupils' marks and if there will be a pass mark?

7. FriedEggs

FriedEggs New commenter

Got results this morning. Majority of children scored over 20, 90% scored over 15.

There is no pass mark - the question is what to do with those who got less than 15 (other than some specifics).

8. Mrjackuk

Mrjackuk New commenter

Is anyone willing to share results?

My class got 14 full marks, 24 children from 29 with over 20. All children over 15.

Assessment coordinator has informed me only 25 is full marks so our outcome is poor. It says no national data is to be released - are our outcomes poor? My class are amazing at x tables.

9. Mrjackuk

Mrjackuk New commenter

So only 5 got below 20. Surely that’s good? It can’t be a 100% goal post or fail?

10. nmason

nmason New commenter

9/28 got full marks in my class, quite a few made typos or started using the mouse when they’d always used the keyboard. I think it’s ridiculous to say they have to get 25/25 to be competent. I would say realistically 12 should have got 25/25. Our average was just over 21 which, from where they were in September, has made me happy. I’m also happy that 4 passed a level in our weekly test this week. They are still keen to learn them and haven’t given up, now that hurdle has passed.

11. hotchoc6

Will there be a pass mark published?

12. startled_moo

startled_moo New commenter

"The check will determine whether a pupil can fluently recall multiplication tables. Therefore, there is no standard for the MTC (Mulitplication Tables Check) beyond the number and percentage of pupils who achieve full marks."

from the Multiplication tables check assessment framework

https://assets.publishing.service.g...755745/2018_MTC_assessment_framework_PDFA.pdf

So no allowances for typos. Hand written tests would provide more accurate scores IMO. Some of our children with excellent times tables knowledge tried to answer too quickly (despite practising a lot) and made one or two typing errors.