1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Y4 bar graph interpretation lesson - HELP!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Vanadesse, Feb 28, 2012.

1. Vanadesse

Vanadesse New commenter

I'm teaching a lesson tomorrow to a Year 4 class about reading bar graphs and interpreting the data on them. I want to have a main activity that is interesting rather than a boring worksheet or questions to answer but I'm struggling to think how. Does anyone have any suggestions?

2. We used smarties and made bar charts to show the number of each colour in each packet. Different groups compared their data and wrote about their findings. They devised questions for each other based on their data. They were so well-behaved and self-disciplined because I promised we could eat them at they ed if every single person was good - worked a treat! Don't know if that helps?

3. Vanadesse

Vanadesse New commenter

Hmm interesting, not 100% sure whether my school would be happy with me using chocolate though... I reckon they might and as I'm being observed, I'm totally up for bribery! If the lesson should be about interpreting data, there's no reason why I can't get them to draw their own bar chart first really is there?

Did you just swap groups around so that they were in twos to compare? And then you got them to write out the questions and then write the answers?

4. jwraft

jwraft New commenter

I wouldn't go into drawing their own bar charts as the lesson is interpreting, not constructing. The skills need to be reading charts and you might be criticised if a lot of the lesson is spent drawing bar charts (which is not the objective, and could take a lot longer than you might think).

Whenever I do bar charts I try to make sure it shows something the children are interested in to get an initial response. I've had quite boy heavy classes and tend to use football, they're always outraged when I do football supporters and give Liverpool the most - but it sparks the initial interest and gets them engrossed in the learning.

Make sure you go over the scale of the Y axis, and what it means if it is between 2 scales (especially your highers) - at level 3, children should be seeing scales that go up in 2s, 5s and 10s. Also make sure you have some using and applying questions in there (how many children all together are represented in the chart? how many children didn't choose red?). I'd also instil the vocabulary.

If you want a quick and fun activity to wow them at the beginning you could go outside and create a human bar chart for favourite crisp flavours or something? At the end of the lesson children could be devising their own questions about a bar chart for a friend.

Hope it goes well!