1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Y3 teachers - can you help?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by FenellaF, Jul 24, 2011.

1. FenellaF

FenellaF New commenter

Hi, I have been teaching Y3 at my present school for 2 years, this will be my third. I am trying to sit down and really see where I can make links with everything. We are doing the literacy units, and the topic units are as follows -
    teeth and healthy eating, helping plants grow, Egyptians, Romans, early settlers, York.
    Does anyone do any of these topics, and what literacy units do you match them with?

Thanks x

2. Hi, I did a few of these topics with a mixed Y2/3 class so used only half of the Y3 units, the obvious links are: Teeth & eating: NF U3 Information texts. Helping plants grow: NF U2 Instructions, Romans: N U2 Myths and legends. The poetry I usually end up teaching discretely as it very rarely fits!

3. FenellaF

FenellaF New commenter

The non fiction units are okay, as, like you say, they pretty much go with anything. I linked myths and legends to Romans as that is also an obvious link, It's the other narrative units that I get stuck with.

4. might be a silly idea but what about a fantasy story linked to teeth?

5. FenellaF

FenellaF New commenter

That's a good idea, but fantasy stories aren't part of the literacy units that i teach :-(

6. For Year 3 I've done 'Dave and the Tooth Fairy' linked with teeth, but I can't think what lit unit I linked it to. I cheat a bit with the lit units anyway...

7. Hi - when I've been teaching Egyptians, I've made up my own scheme of work around Jeremy Strong's "There's a Pharaoh in our bath". It's a funny book, and the children love it. It lends itself to loads of different literacy activities as well as big writing. For Romans, I once did the Thieves of Ostia (again, made up my own scheme of work), which the more able kids enjoyed, but I think it was a bit advanced for the others. Early Settlers I guess may lend itself to St Cuthbert, Lindisfarne and the Northern Saints - Durham Cathedral do a very good KS1/2 education pack, and my Y3 class did a parent's assembly based on Boys in the Monastery. Hope this is helpful.

8. FenellaF

FenellaF New commenter

Some fab ideas, thank you. I went to Durham Uni so I would really enjoy making the link! Might bring back some happy memories :)