1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Y3 science help

Discussion in 'Primary' started by FenellaF, Oct 26, 2011.

1. FenellaF

FenellaF New commenter

Hi, I have a science observation 3rd day back. My science topic is teeth and healthy eating. I have already done the eggs in the liquid investigation, and saw another on here with eggs that I was going to do, but then realized it lent itself more to the materials unit.
    Can anyone suggest a good (or even satisfactory! :) ) investigation that they have done involving food or teeth? I can't think!! TBH, the teeth one is really the only one I ever do for this unit.

Thanks

2. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

No ideas as such, but why do an investigation if you can't think of one? Why not just do a practical and exciting task?

Healthy eating could be creating daily menus of healthy food. Borrow models of food from FS and give out plates for children to swap things about.

Children could use white playdough to create models of the different teeth types. Or make them from salt dough so that they dry out. Children can then stick them to labelled diagrams making a fab display of posters.

Or do what you would do if no-one was coming.

3. marlin

marlin Star commenter

There's an idea here (on page 2) investigating different types of teeth:
    http://www.***.com/lincolnshire/pdf/secure%203%20manushree.pdf
    Or perhaps you could think of an investigation into which is the best toothpaste for cleaning surfaces?
    Or how do toothpastes help protect our teeth - modify your earlier investigation - this time half of the eggshell has been covered in toothpaste. What do the children predict the difference between the two tests would be? What do they actually observe?

4. FenellaF

FenellaF New commenter

The focus is AF1 as well, which really lends itself to an investigation, although I really like the menus idea.

5. FenellaF

FenellaF New commenter

Marlin, there are 3 stars in your link. Are these meant to be there?

6. FenellaF

FenellaF New commenter

It's okay, got it. There are some great ideas on that sheet, I've never seen it before. Thank you!

7. marlin

marlin Star commenter

I'm not sure why my link got starred [​IMG] - try again:
    http://www.***.com/lincolnshire/pdf/secure%203%20manushree.pdf
    If it stars again it is the APP primary science standards file Year 3 secure level 3 and can also be found here:
    http://www.teachfind.com/national-strategies/app-science-standards-file-manushree-year-3-secure-level-3

8. FenellaF

FenellaF New commenter

It normally stars when you use a rude word like f*** or ***!! Hoe bizarre. I wondered if there was a rude word within the word, but no. Oh well! :) It was a great help. I have lots of ideas now, thank you!

9. FenellaF

FenellaF New commenter

10. marlin

marlin Star commenter

That was a strange starring! Really not sure why it did that - I wasn't trying to be rude! Glad you found it anyway and that you think it might be useful [​IMG]

11. Hi, we made models recently when doing this unit. chn loved it. Have tried putting a pic on here, but can't get it to do that! Thing is science co-ord popped in and saw them and loved them, so did the DH; It consolidated chn's learning by way of knowing function of different teeth and we discussed and looked at pictures of jaws of different animals comparing them with our own models to determine what these animals eat by way of their tooth types and then they classified them into herbivores. carnivores and omnivores. It was I felt a good lesson and I was confident at the end of it of the chn's learning. So there was an investigation included too which might fit with your obs focus. [​IMG]

12. FenellaF

FenellaF New commenter

That sounds great. Would you mind emailing me a pic of the models?

julietmancey@yahoo.co.uk

Also, do you do your science in mixed ability groups/ pairs or same ability groups / pairs?

Thanks