1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Y3 reads for class texts

Discussion in 'Primary' started by nudge, Aug 25, 2011.

1. Having just pulled myself away from the shoe thread, I thought I would get onto something slightly less distracting, but perhpas not as much fun! Any suggestions for great class reads for Y3? Would like to buy some next week to get ready.
    Thanks

2. Having just pulled myself away from the shoe thread, I thought I would get onto something slightly less distracting, but perhpas not as much fun! Any suggestions for great class reads for Y3? Would like to buy some next week to get ready.
    Thanks

3. My Y3 class have enjoyed stories such as Horrid Henry, anything by Jeremy Strong, especially There's a Pharaoh in our bath, George's Marvellous Medicine, Big Tom (useful for a WW2 topic), books by Anne Fine.

4. claireruth

claireruth New commenter

Roald Dahl is great - I've just spent a few years in Y3 and Goerges Marvellous Medicine, The Twits, Esiotrot, The Giraffe, the Pelly and me all went doen well.
    Dick King Smith is another great - The Hodgeheg, Sheep Pig, Harry's Mad.
    Michael Morpurgo - The Dancing Bear, Butterfly Lion and Black Queen, Tom's Sausage Lion.
    I hope that helps
    Claire

5. Mine loved Roald Dahl The Witches

6. Thanks everyone - was also thinking about Mr Majeika, as many moons ago when I was in Y3, they enjoyed these too.

Be grateful for any more too [​IMG]

7. I agree with the Roald Dahl. We read George's Marvellous Medicine this year. I also try to read them stuff that they might not pick up / get bought as well so that they get a broader diet. They quite liked Mr Majeika (not particularly different but fun!). Also the Genie, Genie, Genie trilogy by Anne Fine - three linked stories - the one entitled A Sudden Puff of Glittering Smoke is the best IMO. We've done The Twits as a literacy book - (dialogue and playscripts), also Meerkat Mail by Emily Gravett.when doing letter writing. I've read one called You've got Dragons as a link to PSHCE and fears - generates lots of discussion. We've also done lots of poetry as quick reads. That's all I can think of from the top of my head but I'll look at my shelf next week when I go in because I'm sure I've missed some.

8. Crossed post there with the Mr Majeika. Not particularly different comment followed on from me saying that I tried to read a range of stuff - not a comment on you liking it! I like it too!

9. Thanks Katman - I understand and thanks for new suggestions - will be looking at those!

10. Bill's New Frock and The Country Pancake by Anne Fine went down well with my Y3s last year.

11. ooohh thanks!

12. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

13. Which ones did you go for, minnie?

14. lardylegs

lardylegs Occasional commenter

Good list by james.
    Dahl is not the only author available, and is actually much more suited to Year 4 upwards.

15. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Who are you stripy horse?

Night monkey, day monkey

Bottomley the brave

The important book

Oscar got the blame

The teddy robber

All bought because of the themes mentioned in the philosophy/pshe part.

16. My amazon account also took a hit last night too! Then popped over to the book people - oops!

17. My amazon account also took a hit last night. Then popped over to The Book People - oops!

18. tiffster

tiffster New commenter

The Butterfly Lion (Michael Morpurgo)
    The Iron Man (Ted Hughes)
    The Owl Who Was Afraid Of The Dark (although I know a lot of Y2 classes cover this) (Jill Tomlinson)
    Fantastic Mr Fox (Roald Dahl)
    Ten In A Bed (Alan Ahlberg)
    Stig of the Dump (Clive King)

all went down very well when I taught Year 3. They liked short stories too (Mrs Pepperpot, Clever Polly and the Stupid Wolf, the Just So Stories...)

19. Msz

Msz Established commenter

I've also use Jeremiah in the dark woods with Y2 and I plan to use It was a Dark and Stormy Night - both by Allan Ahlberg