1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Y3 mystery and adventure - short stories

Discussion in 'Primary' started by FenellaF, Dec 31, 2009.

1. Hi, when we go back I want to do some guided reading with my class to wrap up the mystery and adventure unit that we started last term, and what with christmas getting in the way, didn't quite manage to finish...
    I am looking for short stories so that I can produce my own guided reading questions if needed, but i am really struggling to find any. I have been looking on the net but to no avail. I have already got the white wolves books but these are too long to read in one session.

Does anyone have an recommendations please? I would be eternally grateful.

thanks

2. Hi, when we go back I want to do some guided reading with my class to wrap up the mystery and adventure unit that we started last term, and what with christmas getting in the way, didn't quite manage to finish...
    I am looking for short stories so that I can produce my own guided reading questions if needed, but i am really struggling to find any. I have been looking on the net but to no avail. I have already got the white wolves books but these are too long to read in one session.

Does anyone have an recommendations please? I would be eternally grateful.

thanks

3. Just thought I would bump this up, I'm after similar suggestions, I want to do this unit and link it to our topic of mountains - does anyone have any suggestions of adventure texts for year 3 set in the mountains???
    Fenella I have ordered a short stories book from the net - not sure if it will be any good though!

4. lardylegs

lardylegs Occasional commenter

5. We used the Walker Book of Adventure Stories. It has several short stories in one book although I think it is out of print now. You might still be able to find it at your local library.

6. I've just bought a copy of "The Story Shop" Stories for Literacy, by Nikki Gamble.

The book includes over 60 short stories and is organised by genre, which includes both adventure and mystery sections.

It was also inexpensive from Amazon. If you search for it on their website you can look at the contents and also read an example of the stories included.

: )