1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Y3 maths objectives

Discussion in 'Primary' started by lindsey249, May 19, 2016.

1. lindsey249

lindsey249 New commenter

I have an interview coming up and I am planning my lesson (25mins with y2/3).

My idea is to work out prices of items by adding up their letters e.g. bag = 1 + 2 + 7 = 10p for bag.

I am confident this meet y2 objectives:
    1. two-digit number and 1s
    2. a two-digit number and 10s
    3. 2 two-digit numbers
    4. adding 3 one-digit numbers
    For the y3s I would challenge them to find the most expensive item therefore they will be adding numerous numbers. However I cant find in the new curriculum where children add more than two numbers the curriculum objectives for y3 states:

add and subtract numbers with up to 3 digits, using formal written methods of columnar addition

Obviously these numbers are not 3 digits but they will be adding 3-10 numbers up.
    What are your views on this? Is it challenging enough? Does this meet an objective or do I need to start again! Also If teaching high ability year 3s can I look at y4 objectives or is this now a big no no!? - I am currently on maternity leave and having a crash of confidence in myself!

Thank you in advance for any help given.

2. summlard

summlard New commenter

There isn't an objective like this on the year 3 curriculum.

There HTU + H, HTU + T or HTU + U as well as formal methods. There are also problem solving and missing numbers etc.

Perhaps go down the missing number route?

Ma3/2.2a add and subtract numbers mentally, including:
    1. a three-digit number and 1s
    2. a three-digit number and 10s
    3. a three-digit number and 100s
    Ma3/2.2b add and subtract numbers with up to 3 digits, using formal written methods of columnar addition and subtraction
    Ma3/2.2c estimate the answer to a calculation and use inverse operations to check answers
    Ma3/2.2e solve problems, including missing number problems, using number facts, place value, and more complex addition and subtraction.

3. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

It is no where near challenging enough for my year 3, for any of them at all.
    They could maybe add prices of multiple items, such as £1.43 + £2.54 + £3.76

To be honest it wouldn't have been challenging enough for my year 2s last year, apart from those who didn't know their alphabet when it would have been a nightmare.