1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Y3 dialogue and plays-what did you do?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by mrsh84, Jun 20, 2008.

1. My plan at the moment is to use Jack and the beanstalk as we have good resources for using this book for dialogue in school. Then I was going to use the play books of the same story from our reading scheme (most of mine haven't got that far just yet, but are etting there) and compare as uidance said do play of thr story you use, but it's hard to find plays suitable for Y3 as an introduction. What did other people do? (We are going to use puppets etc. too).

2. My plan at the moment is to use Jack and the beanstalk as we have good resources for using this book for dialogue in school. Then I was going to use the play books of the same story from our reading scheme (most of mine haven't got that far just yet, but are etting there) and compare as uidance said do play of thr story you use, but it's hard to find plays suitable for Y3 as an introduction. What did other people do? (We are going to use puppets etc. too).

3. We actually looked at 'wind in the willows' but didn't use a play, we plucked out the speech and converted it into a play. The children took notes on key points, then used that to add to the speech as the stage directions. We also looked at ppts from primary resources to help understand the structure of a play. We used drama and role play to help recreate the speech into play form. For lower ability children we used speech bubbles attached to characters for children to add plucked out speech, which had been explored on the carpet. The children loved it and gained a lot from their virtually first experience of playscripts.

4. Sounds good! It's so hard to find an exciting stoyr to use with them to keep them motivated, I think I need somethin better than Jack and the Beanstalk but spent my whole ppa trying to find good plays in school, but most were too hard for an introduction to playscripts. Also we are doing it in 3 weeks instead of 4 as we have a poetry unit to finish.

5. To practise reading play scripts we read the Oxford Reading Tree plays. This worked well in mixed ability groups as the less able are still reading Oxf R Tree books in the reading scheme and the more able had nostalgic memories about these stories and enjoyed revisiting them again in the form of plays.

After that we looked at dialogue in Horrid Henry stories and changed some of them into plays, finally the children wrote and performed their own plays based on Horrid Henry characters.

6. it's true there are definitely not enough playscripts out there, well none that I've got available to me! Converting seemed to be the best option. Best of luck.

7. Thanks! I will be looking for a good story. My class love the gruffalo's child (they are a very 'young' Y3 class!)so may find something nice along those sort of lines. I could always make my own play if I need to using the dialogue from the story to show what a playscript looks like.

8. I used the Twits last year as an introduction, as there is a short script available based on the tricks they play on each other (I think). The children enjoyed this.

9. Watmore

Watmore New commenter

There are some resources on primary resources site that might help. My Y3 class acted out the jack and jill script that was on there today. They thoroughly enjoyed themselves and were quite impressive.
    Watmore :)

10. We used the twits too - Dahl has other stories as plays too, but they can be harder to read. The twits was good.

11. I have a lovely ppt that turns a story into a playscript if you leave your email I will send it. I think I found it on primary resources. I printed out the slide with the story on and got the children first to turn it into playscript format, then add stage directions, then add scene setting. I made some guidance sheets for LA and you can have those as well if you want. We ended the week by turning Jack and Jill into a play (got that from somewhere like primary resources too) - you can have those resources as well if you like.

12. Thank you, that's really kind. My e-mail is strawberrytart1984@hotmail.co.uk
    I would appreciate all resources, at least so I can get my head around it more.

13. You have mail strawberry. The 'literacy resources' document is support material to go with the ppt. I made these really quickly, so please check for errors.

x

14. Do lots and lots of drama before you even start thinking about the features. Then compare a simple story with a play, both the same but in the correct genre so they can see the differences. Then start writing :)

Icy x

15. Thanks, I think we will do drama/puppet work this week, then move on to looking at dialogue in a story then a play. Thanks for the planning, looks really good!

16. I could scream!I am going round in circles trying to find a suitable story that has dialogue in for us to look at and highlight. Its making me so mad! Why does literacy do this to us, some weeks its so easy to find stuff, this time it feels impossible. I have so many poor readers they can't handle really long books, so that makes finding a suitable text hard. Also I don't want to make it boring. All of the advice on here is so good, I just can't think of/find a text!

17. Gorgeous51, I wonder whether you would send me your PPT too - it sounds like just what I need to support my class. Thanks,

littleblue1966@aol.com

18. I think I've ot it-the Lion, the witch and the wardrobe. It will remind them of WW2 topic, can set the scene-put them in groups of 4 to do drama, what would they say to each other etc.-write down what they say on boards, look at how it is presented in the book. They can practice writing dialoue etc. use book to identify features-can just copy a page for them to highlight in pairs if one is more able, less able child will easily recognise speech marks and words like 'said'. The book uses 'said' a lot too, so could put a section on IWB with 'said' removed and discuss suitable alternatives.

19. You have mail Littleblue.

x

20. Gorgeous' powerpoint will be useful for the play writing part too!