1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Y3 Art - help desperately needed!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Lilybett, Nov 7, 2011.

1. Hi,
    I'd be very grateful of anybody's help! I don't teach my new Y3 class Art, it's done in my NQT time. The PPA teacher has approached me to say the school are doing this project where every child does a special piece of artwork and it's taken off to be mounted and framed and then the school sells it to the parents to make a profit. They can give over the whole morning to it, so about 2 teaching hours.
    It's to be special - good enough that parents will want to spend a tenner on it. And it's to be completely separate from their curriculum artwork they're doing. I really feel that the PPA teacher should be planning this but she has approached me several times to tell me I have to do it, and today has been acting pretty exasperated lol even though she knows I'm really unsure of what to do and completely swamped at the moment. She even suggested that I plan it, she teaches it but I come in on my NQT time to 'help'. Like I say, I really feel like she should be planning this but she has made it very clear she expects me to. By tomorrow.
    I've got no TA and half of my class were off today for Eid and illness. Those that were here had completely polar opposite responses to the Maths and English lessons so I've got to rejig all my plans tonight and also plan in catch-up for all the chn not in school today. And I have JUST got out of a staff meeting!
    I've only been teaching a week lol and I've got first parents' evenings tomorrow and Thurs and pupil progress meetings even though I've barely taught them and no TA and am basically feeling like I love being a teacher but feel completely SWAMPED. And it's not like I can just go to the Standards site and find an objective, because there isn't one.
    Thank you VERY much if anyone has any suggestions for something enjoyable, interesting, that will produce good-quality work but that won't take me absolutely ages to sort out (if that is possible!)

And sorry for being such a moaner because, before someone points it out, I KNOW how lucky I am to have a job and I think this pretty many, many times per day! xxxxx

2. Is this an art project where they have to make a card for Christmas or something? This is very popular as a fundraising initiative and does bring the money in. Usually if it is the company that prints it sends some examples of pictures other children have done. There are also usually quite strict rules on what you can and can't do, eg you can't use glitter, metallic paper doesn't come out well, pastels must be fixed in a particular way.
    What are other teachers doing in the school, do you know?

3. Self-portraits are your best bet for something parents will buy. If you have got mirrors available (probably in the maths cupboard for symmetry) then give each child one. Start with a pencil sketch, when the child is happy they have a good likeness they can use pastels or chalks to colour. Have a quick google for self-portraits so that you can show them some examples. Make sure you know what size paper you are supposed to use.
    I would do this in small groups, so go off timetable and have the other groups working on the computer, learning spellings, tables, finishing any writing they have started etc

4. I agree with daybyday, self portraits are a good one to do. My year 3's have done these recently and they did them in watercolour and they came out well. I would suggest you (or the other teacher) give them input for the drawing side of it - get them to do some preparatory sketches of the different features - eyes, mouth, nose , then move onto the self portrait. As for painting, the chn will again need some colour mixing input to help mix a good flesh colour. Ensure chn know their eye colour and believe it or not hair colour!! All the best with everything.

5. cally1980

cally1980 Established commenter

Or you could do the half and half self portraits where you take their pics, stick half into a piece of paper and they complete the other half. If you wanted to move away from self portraits there is always the Seurat style dotty pictures, which are fairly straightforward.

6. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Oh lilybett, really thrown in the 'deep end'!
    Could they design and then paint a family crest? 4 quarters with pictures specific to themselves /their family? I've done something similar in the past with older children designing totem poles when studying Native Americans, but heraldic shields might fir the bill for younger ones?
    Think parents more likely to buy it if it's personal to them?

7. Dear, kind people! Thanks so much for your replies. I've chilled out a bit now I've gone home, had a bit of tea and caught ten mins of Hollyoaks [​IMG]
    THANK YOU! Self-portraits were the first thing I said! Exactly because the parents will want to buy them. They did them before half-term, apparently, so can't do them again - even if in a completely different medium. The PPA teacher ALSO said they can't be too closely related to any artists's work - I can't remember why, but she did. She keeps saying "[the Head] wants class teachers to plan them and take ownership" but I don't really think she'd have said that - why would she? She might as well start every staff meeting by asking that we have "ownership" over our Numeracy teaching? I suspect the PPA teacher just doesn't fancy it! She said self-portraits were a no-no but didn't suggest anything else, just eyed me steadily for a while, while I visibly panicked and was relieved (!) to see a crying child to go and deal with! Hehe, I know, not cool to *** about colleagues. God, I hope she doesn't read this! [​IMG]
    I didn't really want to ask my year-team colleagues because after I assured them at interview how great I'd be, I don't want to admit how much I'm struggling... After they'd left, I had to go into one of their rooms for a form, and saw the kids' work sitting out drying. They were paintings of some kind of landscape. Autumn colours, looked like paint, looked pretty cool! xxx

8. Oh, Lara, thank you x100 - I can't believe I'm saying this, but she might buy that! Ties in nicely with symbolism in RE etc. And yeah, got the guilt-trip for parents if they don't want their own family crest! Ha ha it's a bit 'Kate Middleton', but right now the republican movement is about the furthest thing from my mind! LOL [​IMG] xxxxx

9. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Lilybett quote "Thanks again for that Art idea. The PPA woman bit and the children had
    some very thoughtful ideas, eg blue to represent the sea their great
    grandfather sailed on with the navy when he was killed in the war..."
    So glad it solved the problem and the children seem fired up by it. Just got to sell them to their parents!