1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Y3/4 Volcanoes

Discussion in 'Primary' started by gemmamarie08, Apr 15, 2012.

1. gemmamarie08

gemmamarie08 New commenter

Hi there,

Can I pick people's brains please? I am teaching the topic of Volcanoes and Earthquakes (for Science) to Y3/4 for the next half term.
    Thing is, the room I have does not have an IWB or a projector and laptop. I have a small WB on wheels. So using video clips or IWB resources e.g. pictures is out of the question!
    I am trying to think of fun, practical actvities to cover this topic with a class which is fairly low ability (inc some SEN).
    So far I have thought about making volcanoes using salt dough and then alka sletzer, water and food colouring to make an eruption, making card models of volcanoes (found templates on a Geology website though think these would be too complicated for some chn) and that's about it!
    Any suggestions would be very gratefully received! [​IMG]

2. Hi

I taught volcanoes to my year 3 class at the star of the year. We made volcanoes too. We use a small plastic bottle as the centre (and eventual place to put our mixture) we then wrapped a piece of cardboard around the top to make it into a volcano shape which the children then paper mached over. To make the paste we simply used flour and water. We also pretended our school was an emergency relief shelter and had to plan how to accommodate people if a volcano was to erupt nearby! As part of our literacy, we also made information texts all about volcanoes. You could take in lots of pictures of volcanoes and get them to write up information texts about them. Or, you could do cross curricular volcano poetry to get children to interact with the science behind volcanoes.

3. I taught this to Y3/4 last year, we did lots of work looking at the structure of the Earth, tectonic plates, what actually happens during an eruption, parts of a volcano and tsunamis. It was quite hard going but the kids picked it up really well and loved it!

4. Would you be wiling to upload your planning and/or resources onto TES please? I'd really appreciate it as I have this topic next year.