1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Y2 writing grade - help please

Discussion in 'Primary' started by hotchoc6, Jun 17, 2015.

1. hotchoc6

hotchoc6 Occasional commenter

I have a girl in my class with Aspergers. Her spelling ability is good. She can write non fiction pieces unaided and her writing would be a 2c/b. However when she is asked to use her imagination to write a story, she really struggles. She needs guidance with ideas and structure. If left unaided, it often does not make sense and she can write random words just to fill the line.

How do you grade a child who can write a piece of non fiction to a decent standard yet cannot write a story? Would you mark her down as a L1?

2. cally1980

cally1980 Established commenter

Can she do a basic rewrite of a story she is familiar with?

3. hotchoc6

hotchoc6 Occasional commenter

Thanks for your reply. I haven't tested her on that for a while. I will try that next week.

I was referring to asking her to make up a story using her imagination.

4. hippo5226

hippo5226 New commenter

I have a girl who sounds very similar in that she also really struggles with her imagination for stories. Re-writing a familiar story (traditional tales are best) is easier for her but she still needs a lot of guidance with vocabulary etc. I have her down as 2c if that helps.

5. Msz

Msz Established commenter

I would focus on what she can do rather than what she can't.

I would ask myself can she write letters, reports, diary entries, recounts and display the skills and knowledge required at level2? If she can then I'd award the level

6. frustum

frustum Star commenter

I lacked imagination as a child and teenager, and found it incredibly difficult to make up a story. I learned a way round it, which was to take an actual event and adapt it to fit the required title. I suspect re-writing a story I'd read was also fine.

I read a great deal as a child, so I had plenty of exposure to stories. I'm still hopeless at making up stories: the best I could do for my daughter was Peppa Pig stories (which are easy to make up - take the events of the day, tell them happening to Peppa and her family, add in some jumping in muddy puddles or losing Mr Dinosaur, and you have a happy 3 year old).