1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Y2 SATS

Discussion in 'Primary' started by taji, Mar 18, 2012.

1. I'm going to be taking over a Y2 class after Easter and I'm not really sure what I will need to do in terms of SATs. Will I need to do anything in the way of preparation? Is there anything I shouldn't do because it will form part of the tests? Thanks

2. I'm going to be taking over a Y2 class after Easter and I'm not really sure what I will need to do in terms of SATs. Will I need to do anything in the way of preparation? Is there anything I shouldn't do because it will form part of the tests? Thanks

3. Check which tests have been ordered as you can choose the 2007 or 2009 and they have different English genres in them. Have a good look at the Teacher's Guide as this will tell you exactly what it expected. The general rule is that you cannot teach a particular genre etc a week before the children do the test. However, the rules about what exactly you can do in the lead up to the test itself varies depending on the task. For example for the 2009 character description you can do drama and hot seating about the character in the days before the test, just not write a character description, so you do need to check the specifics. I tend to use them as diagnostics, so don't worry about practice papers much. It is your teacher assessments that will be reported, so they are only a little piece of that jigsaw. We have done the maths tests and they always give much higher levels than the APP shows, so they need to be viewed with caution.
    You will need to arrange cover for when you do the maths tasks with your Level 1s, or the reading teask, so check what usually happens with this.

4. Thanks singup that's very helpful.