1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Y2 phonics-do you have a daily session?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by anniesophie, Feb 17, 2011.

1. If so, is it part of your English/Literacy lesson? I'm limited to the times I have a TA (when we can split into 2 phonic ability groups) and I'm trying to allow enough time for a decent daily writing/literacy lesson with the whole class. How do you mange it? Thanks!

2. If so, is it part of your English/Literacy lesson? I'm limited to the times I have a TA (when we can split into 2 phonic ability groups) and I'm trying to allow enough time for a decent daily writing/literacy lesson with the whole class. How do you mange it? Thanks!

3. clawthorpegirl

clawthorpegirl New commenter

Yes, we do 1 hour English lesson, then a seperate 15 minutes phonics session. Class are split into 2 ability groups, the larger group are now secure at Phase 5 so we are following Support for Spelling and still spending 1 day a week recapping and revising all the alternate spellings and pronunications. Lower ability (11 of them) are working their way slowly through Phase 5.
    After half term we are going to be asking Y3 - Y6 to also have a seperate 15 min daily session to cover spelling and handwriting.

4. Msz

Msz Established commenter

Daily whole class phonics separate from literacy sessions

5. 20 minutes daily whole class phonics. This is seperate from our Literacy lessons.

6. slippeddisc

slippeddisc New commenter

4 x weekly. I don't fit it in on the afternoon I have ppa. Outside of literacy.

Four groups: phases 3,4,5 and 6 but I teach all of ks1.

7. Thanks for your replies-I must take the phonics session out of main Lit/Eng lesson. I only have TA in mornings, so something else has to give!

8. Msz

Msz Established commenter

I don't have a TA at all but do a daily phonics session

9. Hi
    Is there anyone on here who would be willing to share their phonics/spelling/handwriting plans? I am, like some other posters, still struggling to plan this & generally fit it in. I would very much appreciate looking how others manage it!
    Thank you, Blonde
    ceebee812003@yahoo.co.uk