1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Y2 Moderation panic

Discussion in 'Primary' started by lnss, Jun 19, 2016.

1. lnss

lnss New commenter

Hello, I'm being moderated tomorrow and I'm beginning to doubt all my judgements in the children's writing....... I was confident during a meeting with my head on Friday.......... How many times does a standard need to be seen to be 'some' or 'mostly' met? I've had conflicting advice during the two moderation training sessions that I have attended - in the first meeting I was told mostly was 80%+, but in a more recent meeting we were told 50%+ for mostly. Also, I know that the blank exemplification grid is not compulsory, but my LA hinted that they are expecting to see it. Do we need to complete the all the levels for the Greater Depth children e.g the working towards and the working at grids in addition to the greater depth grid?

2. delma

delma New commenter

We provided the grids, so the moderators could see which standards they had met. Remember, to be secure, the children have to meet EVERY standard. We were also told that to be 'greater depth' they had to meet EVERY standard on that, too.

As for how many times the standard has to be met...pass!

3. carriecat10

carriecat10 Established commenter Community helper

One really good piece of recent evidence is enough for each maths statement. Writing is tricky as there should be evidence in several pieces of extended, independent writing. Reading can be rather like maths in terms of evidence - better if you have collected comments that record exactly what the child said or did. As @delma says, you need evidence against every statement to meet a standard. That's a real challenge.

4. modgepodge

modgepodge Established commenter

In our year 6 moderation meeting they said once counted as 'some'! Mostly therefore sounds more like 50%.

I think there's HUGE variation in how different LAs are interpreting this. Our y6 data, once moderated had over 70% working 'at'. They're a weak cohort. Other schools report much lower figures, despite traditionally doing better.

Methinks the data this year will be meaningless.

5. delma

delma New commenter

I agree with @modgepodge I think data will be meaningless.

6. RJR_38

RJR_38 New commenter

70% for writing?!?! That is ridiculously high for what our borough will be allowing through. It is madness