1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Y2 missing numbers

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by emily88, Apr 22, 2012.

1. Hello, just looking if someone could give me some advice please! I am a student in numeracy this week I am teaching about finding the missing number in a calculation using the four functions,

What strategies should I be using to teach this? I am going to support chn with inverse operations for + and - but not sure how else I should go about this for times and divide and if I should be using a number line or anything like that to support their understanding?

Thank You

2. Hello, just looking if someone could give me some advice please! I am a student in numeracy this week I am teaching about finding the missing number in a calculation using the four functions,

What strategies should I be using to teach this? I am going to support chn with inverse operations for + and - but not sure how else I should go about this for times and divide and if I should be using a number line or anything like that to support their understanding?

Thank You

3. PaulDG

PaulDG Occasional commenter

I think you need to start by looking at the NC indicators for the year - I'd be amazed if a majority of year 2s are sufficiently confident in multiplication and division to be able to access missing number problems* (there's a thread running on someone asking for help in planning a lesson on written methods of addition for Y4s).
    I'd suggest you need to focus on addition with "counting on". (Are Y2s expected to be confident in counting on from a given number?).
    Subtraction would be an extension. And number lines are always useful (ask if there's one on display in the classroom you'll be using).

*Though some might recognise missing numers from multiplication if they know their times tables - what times tables are Y2s expected to know?

4. Thank you well I have this: Use the symbols +, ?, ×, ÷ and = to record and interpret number sentences involving all four operations; calculate the value of an unknown in a number sentence (e.g. ?? ÷ 2 = 6, 30 ? ?? = 24) for the end of year objectives so Im just struggling to work out how I should be doing it and with what numbers.

I have been told I must look at subtraction, multiplication and division so I'm assuming I need to be using smaller numbers! although I need to push the H/As to 3 digit numbers

5. I was wondering if you know where the children are in terms of difference between and takeaway in subtraction....sharing and grouping in division....inverse operations in addition and multiplication. if the children are good with difference between its not difficult for them to see that the gap between the two numbers needs to be the answer...addition poses fewer problems if they have a full understanding of the operation.