1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Y2 maths week...........

Discussion in 'Primary' started by takethatno1fan, Mar 2, 2012.

1. takethatno1fan

takethatno1fan New commenter

In the mornings I am going to carry on as normal, but any fun ideas for the afternoon?
    I was thinking maybe cooking something one afternoon, to get children using scales and measuring etc. but can't think of anything that doesn't need a cooker?
    Need to think of some fun activities for using money - maybe setting up a shop?
    Has anyone got any ideas please???

2. You could go full on and do a Mantle of the Expert week focussing on maths. You could set them up as some kind of company with a problem to solve that would pull many aspects of their maths in. There is one suggestion on the Mantle of the Expert website which might spark some ideas.
    http://www.mantleoftheexpert.com/news/maths-and-mantle-of-the-expert-at-ks3/
    It is obviously aimed at older children, but you could take some of the ideas and adapt them. I have done several MOE themes with my Year 2s. They love it and the results have been great. They love working in role and you can challenge and alter the focus as you go. Alongside me being in role, I have bought in the deputy and others to be inspectors, or the reps of the clients, with the children presenting their work. They have thrived on the challenge of deciding how to work together, assigning roles, working out how to present to clients etc. I have done one with an art focus and one with a geog focus, but think one with a maths focus would be a great way of bringing maths to life and seeing its real life applications.

3. sara2323

sara2323 New commenter

During our maths week the chn did a maths treasure hunt and really enjoyed i. It involved time activitities, this was year 2 class. The reception/year 1 carried out a shape hunt looking for shapes in the school grounds.