1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Y2 - maths activities for 1st lesson to assess?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by takethatno1fan, Jan 28, 2012.

1. takethatno1fan

takethatno1fan New commenter

Hi, I am starting a new job on Monday in a Y2 class. The previous teacher has gone off sick and I can't get hold of her previous planning.
    Can anyone suggest activities, whole class then independent work so I can assess their current knowledge and skills? It's impossible to plan any work for them until I have done this as I don't know exactly where they are in their learning.
    Any ideas greatly appreciated!!

2. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

BEAM have 'maths of the month' activities. Choose a few of those for this week and assess as you go. Probably, once you arrive, there will some idea of groupings or past planning to give you a guide.

Literacy, you could teach them a song or two. Then get them to write the words from memory later in the week. this will give you an idea of spelling/phonic and handwriting knowledge.

Reading, just use their current reading books.

3. roise

roise New commenter

I don't know if this will appeal but why not use a past Y1 SATs paper. It will give a rough level and show you gaps not only in individual children's learning but also across the class. You can do it informally working with groups through the week so that you don't worry them too much. They will be doing them in the summer anyway so it would probably be helpful in showing you what to expect.

4. takethatno1fan

Do Y1 have SATs? I thought they only started in Y2?
    I hope this isn't ignorant of me but having never taught Y1 I'm not sure?

5. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

SATS do only start in year 2 and there are only two papers. Many schools use both of them at some point during year 2 for formal assessments, so you'd not be too popular turning up wanting to do one on Monday.

Do you know how long you will be there? If it is just a couple of weeks, prepare lessons suitable for more or less average year 2 children. If longer then prepare a few days and then ask once you get there.

6. Msz

Msz Established commenter

If you want to go down the testing route you might find the Wigan maths site helpful

7. takethatno1fan

minnieminx, you are a superstar!!! The BEAM 'maths of the month' activities are perfect. I wanted something that they could get on with, that was fun, but allowed me to observe and assess their current level of understanding. Some of these are great. Thanks so much!
    I don't really want to go down the formal assessment method just yet, I might just drip feed some of the formal questions in as the week passes as the will have to get used to sitting and thinking for themsleves, but didn't think sitting them in fornt of a past SATs paper or Wigan test would make me too popular to start with!!
    Thanks everyone! x

8. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Thank you! I love them as well.