1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice
  3. The Teacher Q&A will be closing soon.

If you have any information that you would like to keep or refer to in the future please can you copy and paste the information to a format suitable for you to save or take screen shots of the questions and responses you are interested in.

Don’t forget you can still use the rest of the forums on theTes Community to post questions and get the advice, help and support you require from your peers for all your teaching needs.

Dismiss Notice

Y2 Literacy lesson for interview

Discussion in 'Primary' started by LisaLove82, Jun 18, 2011.

1. I have a 30 minute literacy lesson with Y2 next week, for an interview. I was thinking of doing instructional texts- how to make a jam sandwich- actually making the sandwich and then getting children to help me with the process using time connectives and then to write it up themselves. Is this a good idea or too basic? PLEEEEEEASE can somebody help me? want this job so much!!! xx

2. I have a 30 minute literacy lesson with Y2 next week, for an interview. I was thinking of doing instructional texts- how to make a jam sandwich- actually making the sandwich and then getting children to help me with the process using time connectives and then to write it up themselves. Is this a good idea or too basic? PLEEEEEEASE can somebody help me? want this job so much!!! xx

3. michelle99

michelle99 New commenter

I think your idea of doing instructional texts is a good one & like the idea of it being practical and fun for the children to engage with. However, an awful lot of Y2 teachers make sandwiches with their classes when covering instructions. As 'creative and innovative' are the buzz words this year I suggest you stick to your plan but thing of something other than a jam sandwich to make (but still as simple). Good luck!!!

4. Thanks Michelle, think i'll stick to instructions then. Just now need to think of what to make thats fun for the children hmmm...... xx

5. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

I'd have thought 30 minutes too short for this activity, considering the domestics and their age - washing hands (this can take ages with a Y2 class), and cleaning up afterwards. They'll also want to eat them as well, obviously, and this might take 30 minutes in itself for some Y2 children. It would be a disaster if you made the sandwiches and ended up with no time to write anything.
    I'd also generally shy away from activities involving food and eating for a class I didn't know - for an interview lesson, at least. Too many potential pitfalls.

6. I did instructional texts with my year 2 class and we made an origami dog face. Was really simple. I got the instructions off the net and we made it together then the kids wrote how we did it step by step. Was nice because they had something to keep at the end too. Not sure if you'd fit it in 30 mins though.
    Doodles

7. Thanks for replies. Didn't actually think of the whole hygiene/handwashing thing. Origami sounds lovely, but you're right prob wouldnt fit it into 30 mins. I'll be borrowing that idea if I get the job though!! xx

8. clawthorpegirl

clawthorpegirl New commenter

How about writing instructions for something simple which they already know how to do - but put into a context i.e. to help the FS children, to help Obb the Alien? They could write instructions for how to brush your teeth, how to play a favourite playground game etc.