1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Y2 Literacy..... extended stories/significant authors, what texts have people used for this unit??

Discussion in 'Primary' started by wigglywoowoo, Jun 7, 2008.

1. Hi everyone, Im just looking for a bit of inspiration really. Was thinking of perhaps using James and the Giant peach??

Any ideas would be appreciated xx

2. I used the Magic Finger as it's much shorter than james and giant peach and the children came up with really good ideas of their own when writing magical stories.

3. Oooh, hadnt thought about that story, I loved it when I was little. Was worried that James and the Giant peach might be a bit long........

Thanks x

4. dagnabit

dagnabit New commenter

I used The Twits. The kids really loved it and we made up new tricks for them to play on each other.We used the extra week suggested, and used digital blue and modelling clay to make Twit animations. We all enjoyed it.

5. How about: -
    Dick King Smith - The Sheep Pig
    Ted Hughes - Iron man
    Michael Morpurgo - Butterfly lion
    CS Lewis - The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe
    Jamila Gavin - Grandpa Chatterji
    and Flat Stanley always goes down well....

6. I am using James and the Giant Peach and it is going really well. It is a little longer than James and the Giant Peach but we are getting through it at a good pace and the children love it.

Hope that helps

7. takethatno1fan

takethatno1fan New commenter

I have a mixed Y2/3 class, and we recently read Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.

It was quite long but the children absolutely loved it.

8. Hi. I am just planning this unit and am wondering if 'The Owl who was afraid of the dark' would work. Has anyone done this or have any ideas?

9. Dick King-Smith The Hodgeheg

10. Dick King-Smith The Hodgeheg

11. EBC

EBC New commenter

Bel Mooney - I dont want to!