1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Y2 Interim assessments

Discussion in 'Primary' started by hotchoc6, Mar 1, 2016.

1. hotchoc6

hotchoc6 Occasional commenter

I am a little confused about these. I went on a general assessment course last week and it was said that we need a range of evidence from the whole curriculum. The interim assessments were barely mentioned. I have started collecting evidence for the interim assessments and it is very time consuming to collect evidence for every single point. The Y2 teachers either side had not started on them and did not seem too bothered about it. Am I ahead of myself or should I be waiting until nearer to May?

If I go on a moderation course and have to bring evidence, is it the interim statements they will be looking at or just looking at the work generally? Very confused by it all!

2. hotchoc6

Any thoughts on the above? How are other Y2 teachers getting on with collecting evidence for the interim assessments? Is anyone else feeling a bit overwhelmed by it?

3. Lulabelle89

Lulabelle89 New commenter

What evidence are you gathering? The children's work should be all the evidence you need, plus any formative and summation assessment you've done and tracked throughout the year. You'll find out if you are going to be moderated by May 20th and the moderation course covers what the moderated expects to see.
    Hope this helps,
    Lulabelle

4. Lulabelle89

*moderator, sorry!

5. lardylady

lardylady Star commenter

At the risk of sounding very thick, what are interim assessments??

6. hotchoc6

Thanks Lulabelle :) Is that nationwide we find out on May 20th? When will moderation take place? Will it be at the beginning of June, after the results are submitted or as early as May?

Out of interest, how did you find out it would be May 20th?

7. Lulabelle89

I don't think there are anything called interim assessments but I assumed Hotchoc was referring to gathering evidence to show children have met the KS1 interim framework, but please correct me if I'm wrong. If you download the KS1 ARA 2016 there's a key dates section which is national and you'd get more specific LA info on the moderation course. For this year moderation will take place before data submission so will be a professional conversation as in previous years but I think after this year it's due to be more of an evidence scrutiny after data submission without teacher input.

8. hotchoc6

Thank you Lulabelle. I have just been on to the key dates section. It says that data must be submitted by 13th June and moderation could take place from 14th June which indicates moderation will be afterwards. Is this document now out of date? I thought this had since changed to 30th June for the submission of data for KS1? If so, when could the moderations take place? Could they be as early as May?

Was the date 20th May to find out about KS1 moderation just for your LEA or a nationwide date?

9. madmusician

madmusician New commenter

We went to a meeting last week, agreement trialling within our area. We all had similar issues. The main one being lack of evidence. Although, if moderated, we would be able to talk about how we know a child can do something, it was expressed that evidence would be better. We do a lot of 'mental calculation' stuff etc in sparky starters which is generally on whiteboards. from this week, we will now be doing these on paper with a context header so that we have evidence. It is slightly about box ticking but, a lot of us struggled with the evidence for showing they had all of the 'working towards' bits before they could be 'working at'.
    https://www.gov.uk/government/uploa..._data/file/497029/STA-Exemp2016-KS1-Maths.pdf helps as does the writing one. The interim assessment framework does seem to be quite evidence heavy in the form of formal evidence. I hope this helps!

10. teacup71

teacup71 Occasional commenter

They are changing the documents as Nick Gibb changed the submission dates for both KS1 and 2. It is now 30 th June.
    I think moderation from 20 th May is for everyone and apparently they are giving more clarification on evidence and how we assess using the statements. Supposed to be out this week.

11. hotchoc6

Thanks Teacup. I thought it was 30th June but could not find it on the website. Sorry did you mean that we will all find out on the 20th May about moderation or that all Y2 teachers will now be moderated? If so any idea when the moderation could take place? I am presuming it will be in June to allow us time to do the SATS tests? Is the moderation now definitely before submission of results?

12. teacup71

Apparently not everyone will be moderated. Yes moderation is before submission. I suppose if the moderators come before you have done the tests they can only look at books/evidence. There is nothing you can do if you haven't done the tests.
    We keep getting told to wait for the clarification.
    It's so annoying.

13. teacup71

14. hotchoc6

Thanks for your help :)