1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Y2 Help with Time words and connectives- are they the same thing?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Dalian Daisy, Sep 13, 2007.

1. Sorry to sound so thick but I am new to Y2 and I want to get the terminology right.Is a time word e.g. then next first after that finally etc the same as a connective or different?

Am I right in saying that you might start a sentence with a time word but a connective e.g. but and because so goes in the middle of a sentence?
    How do you explain connectives to your class? What are they all? Are we still calling them that with the new framework. I feel a bit lost!

I know in the New framework it talks about 'writing simple and compound sentences and beginning to use subordination in relation to time and reason' does this mean using connectives. I need some help to clear it up in my mind!!Thanks!

2. Sorry to sound so thick but I am new to Y2 and I want to get the terminology right.Is a time word e.g. then next first after that finally etc the same as a connective or different?

Am I right in saying that you might start a sentence with a time word but a connective e.g. but and because so goes in the middle of a sentence?
    How do you explain connectives to your class? What are they all? Are we still calling them that with the new framework. I feel a bit lost!

I know in the New framework it talks about 'writing simple and compound sentences and beginning to use subordination in relation to time and reason' does this mean using connectives. I need some help to clear it up in my mind!!Thanks!

3. With Y2 and Y3 I always called them 'joining words' to begin with. They need to start extending sentences with but... and...as... or...because... although...when... etc. There are also relative pronouns which act as conjunctions: who, which, what . but I wouldn't worry about differentiating with Y2!

Connectives join simple sentences to make compound sentences: I went to the park but then I came home because my brother was tired. Each clause could stand on its own: I went to the park.
    Then I came home. my brother was tired. (complex sentences are when there are subclauses which are not sentences). You can put it t the beginning or the end:
    Because my brother was tired we came home
    We came home because my brother was tired.

If you go to this site, there's a really good, short demo of these sentences:

http://www.standards.dfes.gov.uk/primary/profdev/literacy...

which hopefully will explain it much more clearly!

4. Glad to read this. I'm confused too!

Thanks

5. the time words are also known as connectives (temporal connectives) for some reason!

6. Thank you angelfish that was really helpful! I shall call them joining words. I am still a little confused with time words- first, after that, next as we have done a lot of work starting sentences with them esp when ordering stories and recounts but these words can also be used in the middle of sentences can't they? So is it best to call all of them connectives or say joining words & time words? I will have a look at that website. Thanks.

7. Hi, just bought new literacy framework for Year 2 and it contains an activity where chn have to fill the gaps with connectives, however these are at the beginning of the sentences eg Meanwhile Big Bad Wolf was searching for food.
    These are time connectives if I am right! but will it not confuse chn if they are taught that connectives join sentences. How do you get round this?

8. Pleased this thread has come up as I am not sure.
    Last year with my class I called but, so, because joining words (connectives) and then, after that, next time words. Time words were mainly used at the beginning of sentences when we wrote instructions, stories, recounts etc but as dalian daisy pointed out they can be used in the middle of sentences! I am now unsure as to how to distinguish them to my class!! I will prob just continue to call them time words and joining words! ;)

9. In my yr 2 class and, but, because, although etc are joining words and last week, 5 minutes later, next, finally are called time vocabulary. My chn are rubbish at writing so i am really forcing the time vocab at the mo by using books like eat up gemma.

10. Thanks for posting this, I've always found it confusing to know what to call them!

11. Hurray!It's not just me, sometimes I feel so thick because I don't know all of these things!! I think we've got the right approach with joining words and time words guys!

12. Openers start the sentences/paragraphs. These are sometimes the same words as connectives but are for a different purpose.

Connectives join two sentences together to make one longer/better/more detailed sentences. I have a good display of connectives from here which split them into time connectives, cause & effect connectives and other categories (but I forget)!

If you use VCOP this will help children to see that although they're using the same words sometimes they can be used as openers and connectives. Sorry if this is jumbled & makes no sense...hangover!!

13. Please please please don't call them time words or joining words! Introduce the correct terminology right from the beginning!
    They are connectives, and different types of connectives do different jobs. Some are time (Temporal), some join clauses etc. Find out properly what they are and understand it before you begin to teach it - or indeed before you teach your class the wrong thing!

14. I am confused. i have to teach time connectives tomrow....i dont even know which words are which!! early, late, grew older, there, a little farther, took,

are any of these time connectives?x

15. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Time connectives obviously deal with time so I'd prefer
    Earlier. . ., Late. . . , Firstl. . . , Secondl. . . , Next. . . , After that. . . etc.