1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Y2 Column addition

Discussion in 'Primary' started by TEA2111, Jan 17, 2016.

1. TEA2111

TEA2111 Established commenter

Out of interest, how many Yr2 teachers teach Yr2 children column addition (double digit + double digit) instead of using a number line?

2. RLB1992

RLB1992 New commenter

My class all use column addition and subtraction- we are spending some time this week looking at number lines for addition and subtraction as it is one of the methods they need to know ( to be honest I have never used this method before and it was only when the year 3 teacher mentioned it that I thought I best go back and go through it with my class) She said when teaching addition you normally do- objects, fingers, partitioning, number lines and then column addition (I just missed out the number lines, but going back this week)

Math co-ordinator said as long as they are getting the sum correct it really doesn't matter :)

Hope this helped :)

TEA2111 likes this.
  3. PaulDG

PaulDG Occasional commenter

Number line has value later when we add Cartesian graphs.

Column addition and subtraction has value for life - as it tends to be an extremely good way of getting the right answer!

RLB1992 and TEA2111 like this.
  4. TEA2111

TEA2111 Established commenter

My personal feeling is that children in Yr2 shouldn't be exposed to column formal calculations. I think working with number lines has a lot of value for children...it reinforces and consolidates counting in tens, counting on, enhances their mental calculation understanding, and with more time, I could list some more advantages. Formal calculation so early (in my view) is no more than a 'formula', which denies children feeling confident about numbers, and teaches them that the correct answer is more important than understanding what is happening. I am in Yr4 and feel frustrated that my children don't have a 'deep' understanding of numbers and are not confident to explore concepts.

whitestag likes this.
  5. Wotton

Wotton Lead commenter

I'm with you TEA2111 as we have children who can do column +,- but don't have an understanding of the value of the numbers.(year 3). Some can even go through the routine for decomposition and carrying but don't understand why.

whitestag likes this.
  6. whitestag

whitestag Senior commenter

I like the Singapore maths ideas. Haven't done the proper training on it yet but the principles seem right. Everything seems to be based on problem solving and finding a reliable way of getting the answer that works for that child. Lots of consolidation and practice and no real rush.

Of course, our national curriculum prescribes columnar addition and subtraction at year 3, but some are just not ready for it if they don't understand why they're using it. Some don't need it, they can do it mentally and get the right answer.

I find that I spend a lot of time trying to get the children to decide for themselves whether to use it or not, once they've understood the mechanics of it, but the real challenge is to get them to actually understand what the problem is asking them to do. Only a few of them (year 3) seem to have the ability and the confidence to work that out for themselves.

The rest can perform column addition on cue, but I can tell they don't really understand it, their grasp of number is simply not advanced enough at this stage. Should we continue to drill it into them at such a young age?

TEA2111 likes this.
  7. applesauced

applesauced New commenter

We, in Year 2, are moving into the column method from the Ts and Os deins apparatus. First we practised adding two 2-digit numbers in a column layout (see the resource below), combining their knowledge of 10-frames. When they're adding the ones, and find that they have a full 10 frame, they can easily exchange it into the Ts column. After practising this method, I taught and observed the easiest and smoothest transition into formal column methods that I have ever seen. It just made sense. It wasn't a trick, they understood the place value, and the 10-frame system continues to support their mental methods. Since the SATS allows for just over 1 minute per question, I thought it best not to mess around with fiddly, easy-to-make-a-mistake number lines, and get straight to the good stuff.

Attached Files:

TEA2111 likes this.