1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Y2 books for literacy

Discussion in 'Primary' started by FenellaF, Jul 11, 2012.

1. FenellaF

FenellaF New commenter

Hello! I am new to Y2 in September. The topic is either the Great Fire of London or I can do Florence and Mary Seacole. They both need covering next term, but it doesn't matter in which order. The current Y2 teacher does traditional stories for her literacy unit which doesn't really link to either, (as far as I can see..) Are there any traditional stories that I am not aware of which would fit in, or I was thinking of doing stories with familiar settings, but am again struggling to come up with any texts which would link in with the topic area. Does anyone have any suggestions please? I am open to anything! Thank you

2. Whenever I've done those history topics, I've always made information texts my literacy unit, and got the children to write their own information books. Not sure I would do that as the 1st unit in sept though. A Lion in the Meadow is a good book for familiar settings, I think there's some resources on this site for it, and maybe Hamilton site too.

3. I don't worry too much about covering what is in the Primary Framework, I would make sure you teach narrative, non fiction and poetry. We touch upon Traditional Tales as part of our heroes and Superheroes theme, but I don't feel the need to teach exactly what it says in the Framework.
    Both the Great Fire of London and MS and FN are great topics, but again, don't feel you have to do these if you have a great alternative. I am doing MS and FN as part of the Heroes and Superheroes topic. We look at real people who have been heroic (MS, FN and Bob Geldof), get them to look at who might be a hero in their family etc. We then move onto looking a fictional heroes and superheroes, which brings in Hansel in Hansel and Gretel, the Prince in Sleeping Beauty, the Princess in the Paperbag Princess (which is an alternative take on the general idea of a traditional tale as we explore how men are often the hero in traditional tales). We also look at superheroes in comic strips. Our writing is character descriptions of characters from the traditional and non traditional tales, a simple comic strip and a non fiction profile of a family hero, to keep as part of their family history.
    We do a lovely drama lesson to introduce Mary S. The teacher becomes the commander of the soldiers (children) who are about to go out onto the battlefield. They have to stand in lines to attention. The teacher explains (in a commander kind of way) they may not come back, but must do their best etc. They then freeze and imagine they lie injured on the battlefield (sound effects in background optional!) and they do thought tracking as the teacher taps them on the shoulder and asks them how they are feeling llying their injured etc. The teacher then goes into role as a person coming round helping the men (without saying who she is etc), talking to them, offering them water, reassuring them etc. They then freeze and we discuss who she is and how come she is there. I then play an audio track from BBC class clips of MS being 'interviewed' about who she is and why she goes on the battlefield. This follows on from work on FN where they learn about the background to the war etc (we act out being FN on the boat to the crimea and how she is feeling, with children hot seating me and each other as FN).

4. Vanadesse

Vanadesse New commenter

When I did florence, we did information texts as well. Each child made an information book all about Florence. They really enjoyed it and made some fantastic books.

5. FenellaF

FenellaF New commenter

Blimey Singup, that sounds fantastic!

6. annie apple

annie apple New commenter

The Tiger Child and How Rabbit stole the fire - both by Joanna Troughton, Wombat goes Walkabout or Little brown Bushrat would fit on the Fire theme possibly - we wrote diary extracts and made GFOL information books too