1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Y2 Anger Management

Discussion in 'Primary' started by DanielTaylor, Sep 16, 2019.

1. DanielTaylor

DanielTaylor New commenter

Hi, I've just started supporting a year 2 child with anger issues who has come back from being excluded for a long time in Year 1. CAn anyone suggest strategies for dealing with him arriving at school in a crisis and selling them to the teachers please ? The children normally go straight into the class room from outdoors but today he arrived very physical and resisting his mum and it just wasn't safe for the other children trying to change their shoes. He tends to go from calm to crisis very quickly without time for normal de-escalation strategies, which I applied while in a t-wrap team teach. The school has been through 4 previous support workers very quickly which is a bit of a warning sign for me.

2. sooooexcited

sooooexcited Occasional commenter

If he has been excluded he should have behaviour support and the inclusion team supporting him. If he is violent he is in danger of re-exclusion meaning that your LA (even if you're an academy) have to support.
    Speak to your SENCO who must refer him if this hasn't happened already.

3. snowyhead

snowyhead Lead commenter

Has the school tried the "Volcano in my tummy" book/approach?

4. migratingbird

migratingbird Occasional commenter

Could it be the hustle and bustle of everyone arriving at the same time in the morning that is making him anxious prior to arrival? If so, could alternative arrangements be made for him? Last year I had a child (also Y2) who would arrive 10 mins earlier than other children and just do a quiet activity in my classroom until the others arrived. This meant he wasn't fearful of all the noise and jostling involved in everyone coming in at the same time, and was already feeling safe in the classroom before others entered. I would leave him at this activity until he felt ready to join us all on the carpet. Every child is different, I know, and his triggers might be totally different, but maybe worth a try?