1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Y12 and 13 Private Study/Directed Study.

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by swampyjo, Feb 7, 2015.

1. swampyjo

swampyjo New commenter

Question. Do your Y12 and Y13 have to go to a supervised room or library for their 'free' periods?

The reason I ask is that I work in a state boarding school. At the moment we allow most of the sixth form to go to their boarding accommodation to work. Unfortunately this does not always happen. (Unsurprisingly!)

For many of the better students, the benefit of independent learning is plain to see, however our VA at A level is awful, when our VA at KS4 is REALLY good.

I want to get our Y12 and 13 into supervised study (other than by exception).

2. PaulDG

PaulDG Occasional commenter

I think that's unusual in the state system but is a lot more common in the Independent sector.

I think a bit of both might be best. Some timetabled supervised study and some genuine frees.

3. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

I am in an Independent School. There are areas for silent study and for working where they can talk. Whether or not students use these in their frees is up to them.

What are the consequences of them not completing homework? Perhaps monitoring their use of free time could be put in place as a consequence for those who need it.