1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Y11 and Y13 work submitted post March 20

Discussion in 'Independent' started by vincenthardenchaters, May 16, 2020.

Tags:
  1. vincenthardenchaters

vincenthardenchaters New commenter

Hello,

I just wanted to gauge if the practice being used in my school goes beyond government guidance. In a nut shell my SLT and HoD have both been telling staff to continue to assess Y11 and Y13 since March 20.

Now they are using this new data that has been collected as evidence to move pupils up grades from where the data we had on them previous to March 20 for the centre assessed grades.

Morally and professionally I feel this is wrong due to the likelihood of cheating. I have contacted them both separately to air this but have been told the party line of "it allows us to show the pupils in the best light". Especially in light of the additional guidance on objectivity and recency effects I believe the school is trying to inflate pupil grades.

I wonder if this is widespread?

2. andywhizz1

andywhizz1 New commenter

Hi. This seems rather counter productive as if schools over predict grades based on their previous years performance the exam board will simply moderate the grades down. My school have got us to rank order students based on data and teacher input and then they have been allocated grades based on the proportion of grades awarded in subjects over the last few years. No requirement to assess students post lock down.

3. colacao17

colacao17 Senior commenter

Yes, my feeling is that the ranking is more important. I suspect the examboard will attempt to repilicate an average spread for a given school, and all we are doing is influencing where on the spread a pupil will be.
    There may be a few exceptions, where students already have grades banked (international modular exam) but in essence, I think stressing about anything else is futile.
    Our SMT is also making noises about continuing to give pupils the chance to improve, but in all honesty I think that's the message they want to give students so that they continue to engage - in a private school that's what justifies the term's fees, even though those poor kids would be off and finished soon.

4. Skeoch

Skeoch Star commenter

See the instructions from the Awarding Bodies. In the end the Head of Centre is responsible for the grades submitted, no one else. Instructions are clear. It's Head of Centre whose professional standards are on the line.
    That said, there's an argument for teaching Y11 and Y13, not specifically towards exams, but more of an educational argument.

willcott likes this.
  5. colacao17

colacao17 Senior commenter

Oh absolutely. When they start Y12 / University (if that's possible this year) they want to be at no disadvantage relative to any other cohort which has continued to study up to mid June/mid July.
    But knocking ourselves and them out with trying to collect and feedback on work done remotely, with no guarantee it's their own, I think is a waste of everyone's time and energy. And with those we will be teaching again next year, maintaining positive relationships is at least as important as continuing to collect evidence - in fact I'd say much more important.

6. Boardingmaster

Boardingmaster New commenter

We have been working on the assumption that the grade is something of a red herring and the ranking is what will ultimately be used. We are lucky to have some serious statisticians in our department who have done all sorts of wizardry to come up with what seems to me at least an incredibly robust ranking system (and importantly justifiable in the event of data access requests, which I suspect may be one of the reasons for overprediction, blame the exam board!).

7. ajrowing

ajrowing Lead commenter

As others have said if a school over predicts then the exam boards will simply move the grades down until they fit what the stats say the cohort should get. What that means is that if you move a student up the rankings and their grade changes, then you are also moving another student down a grade. If a school is using work done after 20th March to move students rankings around, then the student who is moved down could well have an argument on appeal that proper process was not followed.