1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Y1-what are the others doing?!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by breadmaker, Sep 13, 2011.

1. breadmaker

breadmaker New commenter

Would be grateful for any ideas.
    Have just gone back into y1 and we are working a 4 group system- 1 group each with T and TA and others independent and then changing. The directed groups are fine and we are already seeing some good work, but I am struggling to think of ideas for the others to get on with on their own when they can't concentrate for more than a minute, like to be very phsyical, can't read etc.etc.- all typical things at the start of y1.
    Anyone got any suggestions? I know it's still early days and this way is so much better than when I last taught y1 8 years ago and we had to try to get them all to do the Literacy hour at the same time- nightmare! no-one learnt anything- HA held back,LA totally over their heads, so I am committed to sticking with it, but feel I need something worthwhile for those working on their own. Thanks for any help.

2. BoldAsBrass

BoldAsBrass New commenter

Have you considered setting up continous provision (al la Foundation Stage) if you haven't already? Invest some time (i used the first week) to play alongside them in each area, giving them ideas and modelling good use of an area.
    You can plan for the areas to reflect topics and themes taught, by adding enhancements to the general resources you include within each area eg malleable area would include dough, boards, rolling pins, cutters, mark making equipment but combined with moulds for creating a pizza or fruit would link it to 'healthy eating' or 'eat more fruit and veg'
    Give them daily / weekly tasks within areas e.g maths area could focus on couting objects to 10 using sorting trays or threading beads, ordering numbers consecutively, create patterns in numbers or colours, match numbers to numerals, add two small numbers using equipment
    Just a few ideas, it's late and my bed is calling.
    Planning your CP is the key and change it when the children get bored or require more stimulation. Encourage them to 'focus' using a timer on the IWB set to 10 minutes - with a rule to not move on until the timer runs out or if noisy use a handbell to ring to signify too much noise.
    My year 1s have a class target - which is currently to 'work quietly in CP so adults can work with others without being disturbed' - if they get 10 smiley faces they get 10 minutes extra playtime. Award them at the end of the morning session or afternoon session. Tip is if the bell rings more than 3 times in any session = no smiley! Try harder :)
    Hope this all helps - good luck ignore all typos ..... no time to check ......snore :)

3. breadmaker

breadmaker New commenter

Thanks so much- very helpful sleep well!!