1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Y1 transition meeting for parents?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by nearly qualified, May 8, 2012.

1. Hi
    I will be new to Y1 in September after 5 years in FS.
    I am thinking about offering a transition meeting for the parents at the beginning of September to explain to them how things operate in Y1 and the things that will be different from FS. This has never been offered before at my school so I have nothing to go on really. Has anyone got any tips/words of wisdom of what to share with them?
    I will probably cover things like: structure of the day, importance of phonics/reading, guided reading input, developing independence etc. Am I missing anything glaringly obvious?
    Thank you x

2. Hi
    I will be new to Y1 in September after 5 years in FS.
    I am thinking about offering a transition meeting for the parents at the beginning of September to explain to them how things operate in Y1 and the things that will be different from FS. This has never been offered before at my school so I have nothing to go on really. Has anyone got any tips/words of wisdom of what to share with them?
    I will probably cover things like: structure of the day, importance of phonics/reading, guided reading input, developing independence etc. Am I missing anything glaringly obvious?
    Thank you x

3. zoobiezoo

zoobiezoo New commenter

Sounds like you're covering everything!
    Parents will be particularly anxious about the 'developing independence' aspect. They will be concerned that their children will still be treated with kindness, patience etc. Parents worry about the transition from FS as they are scared that the introduction to mainstream expectations will be too harsh for their children. They may also be concerned about the end of the 'open-door' policy they are more familiar with in FS (depending on the school). All of this completely natural of course as their children are still only 5 years old!

The fact you have come from a long stint in FS will help immensely. A little reassuring goes a long way..!

4. bigbev

bigbev New commenter

While in the role of KS1 Phase Leader I also put in place a 'transition book' for the children. It had a photo of their class teacher and ta and their names, a photo of the door they will come into school through, a photo of where they will hang their coat, a photo of where their tray will be, playground they will play on etc etc.
    It was recommended to me by one of the local community paediatricians to help an ASD child settle in....we sent it out for all FS - Yr1, All Yr1- Yr2 and vulnerable Yr2 - Yr3
    Just an idea to add to your list/consider!

5. Hi
    Thanks, I really like that idea of the photo book - lovely. We are only a small school so the children are pretty confident with most members of staff already so I may develop it as a board in my room for the start of the year, rather than a book each.
    Thank you for your replies x

6. Hi Nearly Qualified,

Did you produce a leaflet or powerpoint for your meeting? I am meeting my new parents this week and trying to get some information together. Would be great to have a starting point to make sure I cover everything!

Thanks

Katy