1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Y1 traditional and fairy tales

Discussion in 'Primary' started by chocciemad, Jan 3, 2010.

1. Please help, I am an NQT and struggling to come up with fun ideas for my Y1 class! Please inspire me! I am about to begin teaching Fiarytales and am after some activities and teaching ideas to get the children comparing stories including types of chracters, story language and happy endings.
    Any suggestions please?

Thanks

2. Please help, I am an NQT and struggling to come up with fun ideas for my Y1 class! Please inspire me! I am about to begin teaching Fiarytales and am after some activities and teaching ideas to get the children comparing stories including types of chracters, story language and happy endings.
    Any suggestions please?

Thanks

3. emilystrange

emilystrange Star commenter

last year i did this unit based on shrek, because it has just about every story you can think of in it!
    you can do lots of work on goodies and baddies from it, especially where the usual goodies turn out to be baddies - rapunzel and prince charming. got a lot of fantastic pshe work from it too.
    instead of teaching what happens, the children can tell you what SHOULD be happening and who should be doing it. it was great fun!
    they enjoyed it as well *ahem*
    the main writing task was a story that had as many cross-story characters in as possible. the ugly duckling and goldilocks had a great conversation in one of them!

4. Thanks Emily-What a wonderful idea , will have to see if I can track down the dvd! Would it be possibel to have a look at your planning for it?

Many Thanks

5. i usually start with the Jolly Postman because this includes lots of different fairytale characters then you can focus on individual stories.

I get the children to retell the stories and think of ways to describe the characters & how they feel (Goldilocks & 3 bears, billy goats & troll.) Usually use speech bubbles, hot seating, role play, letters etc.

Also look at the setting & events in the story using a story mountain & what is their favourite part & why?

This all helps the children write their own story. I usually read red riding hood, 3 little pigs & mr wolfs pancakes (diff viewpoints) then get them to think of a new story for the wolf.

Using shrek is a good idea too - i might pinch that!

6. emilystrange

i just had a massive genius moment one day!
    it doesn't matter which dvd you use, they'll know them all anyway. and they'll tell you loads about the other ones, which is pretty good for assessing 'knowing what they're on about when talking about fairy tales' which is of course a well known LO.
    i can send planning, but we did deviate a bit!
    one of my Y2's got right into the loyalty/betrayal thing with rapunzel. [​IMG]

7. Thanks everyone, some really great ideas here! Emily would really appreciate seeing your planning if you dont mind, that is really kind of you.
    jillianrob@hotmail.com

8. emilystrange

and lo, tis done.
    having not read them through for about a year, i hate to think what's in them, but hey... you'll get the gist!

9. schlairtay

schlairtay New commenter

ooo sorry to be cheeky could i poss have a look too? am covering this next term, sounds great!
    thanks x schlair@hotmail.com

10. emilystrange

don't anyone get over excited by them, ok?

11. Sorry to be cheeky but would you please e-mail your plans to me, I'm doing this after half term. It would give me some ideas for a starting point. Thanks
    year1@hotmail.co.uk

12. Hi Emily,
    Sorry to be a pain because I can see you have had lots of requests but I really like the idea of using Shrek for Traditional Tales unit.
    I am being observed for literacy this week and need to focus on a writing task.
    Was wondering whether I would be able to have a look at your plannning too please too give me some inspiration as really pulling hair out!!
    Hope that would be ok.
    Maria
    mariaperez@hotmail.co.uk

13. Hi Emily,

Sorry to be a pain, but I'm doing this unit after half term and would love to have a look at your plans. jgriff3@hotmail.co.uk
    Thanks x

14. Hi,

Would it be possible to have a look also. Looking for a bit of a twist to my trad and fairy tale planning and this sounds great!!!

lindseypaulariley@live.co.uk

Thanks very muchxxx

15. Lots of people asking for this planning, but hope I'm not too late... Im Y1 and starting my Lit unit on Monday. Thought of Shrek myself but haven't started to plan beyond Monday because I have an observation! eek! Big thanks if you can possibly send it to me as well. x

missdavies9@hotmail.com

16. JCA_1989

JCA_1989 New commenter

Hi, what a wonderful idea!! I am also teaching this unit of work after half term and it would be really helpful to look at other peoples ideas.
    Please could you send me a copy of the planning also? I hope I am not too late.
    joseph.allen68@gmail.com
    Thanks very much
    x