1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Y1 Stories with familiar settings - linked with 'Ocean/seaside' topic

Discussion in 'Primary' started by kellywaaad123, Aug 24, 2011.

1. Hi all, I wondered if anybody had any good ideas for story books I could use for my narrative unit -Stories with familiar settings, that would tie in with the Ocean/seaside.
    Thankyou!

2. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

3. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

We use Katie Morag stories for this.

4. For the slightly more surreal but still familiar...

The Lighthouse Keeper's Lunch by Ronda & David Armitage or

Sally and the Limpet by Simon James

5. inq

inq

We have used Sharing a Shell by Julia Donaldson - for our children rock pools are a familiar setting as we live near the sea. We started our fantasy unit with watching some of Nemo - sea, boats, dentists were familiar bits though so you may be able to adapt that.
    Dear Greenpeace is set in a garden and is the story of a whale so that might link in too.

6. ecawemma

ecawemma New commenter

I like Sally and the limpet or Snail and the Whale. Hopefully the seaside is a familiar setting for your children so they should get some great writing from a visit to the beach!
    Alternatively, if you move away from the seaside theme, there is a unit on www.emmarogers.org.uk for familiar settings which uses a great film - Monkey See Monkey

7. There's a book called 'the sea monster' by Christopher Wormell. A seaside story with some quite nice drawings in too.