1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Y1 Role Play Area

Discussion in 'Primary' started by lumleylass, Aug 2, 2011.

1. lumleylass

lumleylass New commenter

My Y1 topic is 'Families and Neighbours' for the Autumn term but I'm struggling for ideas for my role play corner. I would like to avoid a home area if possible as I know that both our Nursery and Reception classes are having home corners in September! I'm sorted for after half term as one strand of the topic looks at Pets so I'm looking forward to creating a Pet Shop.

I would appreciate any advice and ideas. Thanks :)

2. lumleylass

lumleylass New commenter

My Y1 topic is 'Families and Neighbours' for the Autumn term but I'm struggling for ideas for my role play corner. I would like to avoid a home area if possible as I know that both our Nursery and Reception classes are having home corners in September! I'm sorted for after half term as one strand of the topic looks at Pets so I'm looking forward to creating a Pet Shop.

I would appreciate any advice and ideas. Thanks :)

3. This is a bit of a difficult topic. How about a baby clinic area? Or maybe something linked to family celebrations such as christenings, birthdays, weddings etc? It is also Divali in October for a multi-cultural focus. Other than that are there any books, themes that you are covering in literacy that you could link the role play to?

4. Why not ask the children? It would be a nice opportunity to involve them in an area of their new classroom. You could tell them the things they are going to be learning about and see what they would like as their role play area. It's not the end of the world if it doesn't link perfectly to your topic, especially as your next role play will be linked to it, and you will probably get much more value out of an area that the children have designed and created. Hope that helps! [​IMG]

5. lumleylass

lumleylass New commenter

Thanks so much for your replies. I would like to ask the children for their ideas but think I'd probably prefer to do this for 2nd half of the term, so I can have some thinking time and signs etc for the area can be prepared by the children before half term. I might swop my planning ideas around a bit so Pet shop can slot in earlier. It's definitely given me food for thought :)

6. The home corner is not as boring as it sounds for Year 1's! My Year 1 children have loved playing in the home corner this year. We have had all sorts of different role play areas but every so often it becomes the home corner again for a while and the children can't wait to get in there.

7. I think involving the children is very important as until you know them how sure can you be that they will know how to play in a pet shop as many of the children may never have visited a pet shop! If you want to prepare your role play before term starts and don't want a home corner how about a specific room say a bedroom or bathroom as all children will have some idea of these. My Y2 classes loved a bedroom and we had a small camp bed, bookcase, soft otys etc and added to it as the children shared what was in their bedroom! Funnily enough very few children played at going to sleep in the bedroom role play area!

8. Is there a particular book that you're using that you could adapt a role play area around? Maybe something like the 3 bears house?

9. Or the Large families home (peace at last/all in one piece)? Chn could then add to the role play as you work through the setting of the story.

10. lumleylass

lumleylass New commenter

Thanks for those great ideas. I'd forgotten about the Large family books, I'll definitely have a look and maybe use a book as my basis. My book is Granpa for the 'families' aspect of the topic but I was looking for more examples!

I'm leaning towards having an area with different family celebrations, starting with a birthday party as this will fit nicely with setting up our birthday charts etc. The children could then choose another family celebration after 3-4 weeks.

Thanks again for all your ideas. I've been out of KS1 for a few years so it's good to have more experienced teachers to bounce my ideas off!!!