1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

y1-recognising that when rearranged the number of objects stays the same!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by chocciemad, Aug 30, 2011.

1. Help! I am looking for some teaching ideas or activtiy ideas to demonstrate this objective. Also how do you assess this obj?
    Many thanks

2. erialcrobo

erialcrobo New commenter

3. erialcrobo

erialcrobo New commenter

Sorry chocciemad, I am also looking for ideas to teach this![​IMG]

4. Msz

Msz Established commenter

5. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Sit with the child. Have 7 cubes or something and get the child to count them. Rearrange, but make it obvious you haven't taken any away and ask them how many now. If they look at you like you are stupid and say 'well DUH there is still 7 obviously' then you know they have met the objective. If they count then then say 'I'm so daft of course there were 7' then let them have another go with another number. If they count every time then they haven't met the objective.

6. I like to use the children themselves with concepts like this.

Have 7 children stand in a line, and have another child count them, then record on the board how many they are, so all of the class/group can see the 7.
    Then split the group into 2, such as boys and girls. Have the 'counter' count the girls, then the boys, then count them all together. Confirm that it is still 7. (Can be done as wearing a jumper or not, or hair colour etc)
    Repeat in different ways of separating - in 2 pairs and a 3, etc, until they decide that the group will always be 7, as you haven't added or taken away anyone.

7. carriecat10

carriecat10 Occasional commenter Community helper

This is definitely one of those concepts that children need to experience in a variety of ways and with loads of different resources.
    You can link this to many other counting concepts and activities to help them make connections.
    Carrie [​IMG]

8. Forgot I posted this! Thanks guys for all your ideas!