1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Y1 Phonics Screening - suggestions of what to include in homework pack

Discussion in 'Primary' started by LITTLEMISSMONKEY, Feb 1, 2017.

1. Msz

Msz Established commenter

That and a lot of guessing

2. derek_underwood79

derek_underwood79 Occasional commenter

I agree with all of this. I think that you are misunderstanding my position. I am a huge fan of synthetic phonics. I teach children to use syllables in reading and writing. I use Sounds Write who I believe were very involved in the PSC. I think you are assuming too much and not reading what I am actually saying.

3. Msz

They werent

4. derek_underwood79

They told me the were. Especially the psuedo words. SW use pseudo words.

5. derek_underwood79

Let us take a word like 'instead' the ea can represent ay or ee or e. Children will use context and meaning to work out which one it is. That is all I was saying about meaning. You disagree?

6. Msz

If you're Sounds Write trained you should know that they don't need context to read instead. They would try the most common sound represented by the spelling insteed o_Othen alternatives Instaid o_O.insted :)

7. derek_underwood79

Yes you are right for this word. It was a poor choice. How about words that can be read two or more ways. I am a little distracted by the rugby. So a word that has a spelling that can represent two or more sounds and each sound gives you a plausible word.
    This is from the article you linked to me and I agree with it. I think it supports what I am saying.

The Simple View of Reading holds that successful reading requires both decoding skills and comprehension. Children should be equipped to read using skills of decoding and inferencing, not inferencing (aka guessing in some cases) alone, along with a long list of learned-by-sight words.

8. Msz

As I said context is useful for homographs read and read

9. derek_underwood79

You said homophones if I recall. So, again we agree. That was what I was saying all along.

10. Msz

Inference for comprehension great

11. Msz

Context helps to know if you should write there, their or they're homophones

12. derek_underwood79

We can also agree that if high quality synthetic phonics was taught consistently for all children then there would be no need for a national check?

13. Msz

There shouldn't be a need

14. derek_underwood79

What a shame. I haven't learned anything new and I thought I would.

15. Msz

You learnt Sounds Write weren't involved in the PSC

Do suggest you read Stanislaw Dehaene Reading in the Brain

Unfortunately most research is behind paywalls

16. derek_underwood79

I wonder why their trainer told me that they were? Thank you for the recommendation.

17. Msz

Who was your trainer?

18. Msz

Doug Lemov Reading Reconsidered also worth reading

19. derek_underwood79

I can't remember her name. I thought she was very good, her name is on the tip of my tongue. Derrie (Derry?) was her first name.

20. Msz

Derrie Clark I'm surprised if she said tgat