1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Y1 Phonics Screening - suggestions of what to include in homework pack

Discussion in 'Primary' started by LITTLEMISSMONKEY, Feb 1, 2017.

1. derek_underwood79

derek_underwood79 Occasional commenter

Earlier? On this thread. Will I conclude from reading this lot that people do not rearrange letters in their heads to search for meaning when faced up with jumbled letter words and that children do not search for meaning when faced with psuedo words?

2. derek_underwood79

What is the point of identifying these children if the teachers do not have the training to address their problems.

As to the ot and to children I wouldn't know the answer. I would imagine that more of these read on as no etc.

3. derek_underwood79

I am having trouble reading these articles online. Do you have a link to something I can read. The most relevant piece of research.
    Or could you point me in the direction of the thread about the jumbled up letters? How do you think we read those words?

4. Msz

Msz Established commenter

5. Msz

So useful to identify them and correct the problem

6. Msz

7. Msz

Can you solve anagrams?

8. derek_underwood79

9. derek_underwood79

I am very bad at anagrams.

10. Msz

Then reading jumbled words is really going to slow your reading speed

11. Msz

And if all the letters are jumbled even slower

12. derek_underwood79

No if I have the first and last letters in the correct place I can read these passages nearly as quickly as normal.

13. Msz

The evidence is around a 11% decline if the first and last remain constant but the more letters that are jumbled the bigger the decline

14. derek_underwood79

Yes so how do we read the words, by rearranging the letters in our head and using meaning and context to help?

15. Msz

The same way we solve anagrams

16. Msz

17. derek_underwood79

As to the PSC I don't think there is much between us. Yes, it is useful to expose lack of good phonics teaching but if we had high quality phonics teaching we wouldn't need it would we? Not a national check with reported results.

18. derek_underwood79

Really? Anagrams aren't in the context of a body of text that has meaning.

19. Msz

"Many children hit the wall ́ with reading in third or fourth grade. Up until that point, they have been able to get by with memorization and guessing strategies. By third or fourth grade, more advanced work attack skills are needed. Multi-syllabic words require decoding many small words parts ́ and putting them together. These word parts are like nonsense words (per-pen-dic- u-lar). Poor readers are notoriously poor at reading small word parts and nonsense words. Weak phonological memory can also make it difficult for them to hold ́ these word parts in memory in the correct sequence long enough to accurately assemble the word. Poor readers also lack syllable division and word attack strategies needed to decipher longer words. Knowledge of common affixes and patterns (such as tion ±ture, -cious) is also weak.
    Children who are lack these skills begin to fall further behind. As sentences become less predictable, guessing strategies become less reliable and inaccuracies increase. Reading becomes increasingly effortful. Fatigue and inaccuracies can begin to interfere with comprehension. Ineffective reading strategies and negative feelings about reading become ingrained, and are difficult to change.
    Third and fourth grade are a critical point in time for reading. At that point, children shift from learning to read ́ to reading to learn ́. Academic vocabulary and academic knowledge are built through reading. Poor readers are at risk in multiple subject areas if they are not able to improve their reading skills."

20. derek_underwood79