1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Y1 Phonics Screening - suggestions of what to include in homework pack

Discussion in 'Primary' started by LITTLEMISSMONKEY, Feb 1, 2017.

1. LITTLEMISSMONKEY

LITTLEMISSMONKEY New commenter

Hi,

I'm trying to put together a pack for a few of our children to support them with their phonics. I'm going to send home some words (real and alien) that parents might like to practice with them at home. Has anyone done anything similar in their school? If so, what did you include please?
    Thank you

2. Msz

Msz Established commenter

I'd suggest focusing on real words and books, there is absolutely no reason to send home pseudo words. It's a waste of time and resources. If the children can accurately decode any word they meet they won't have a problem with the PSC.

3. LITTLEMISSMONKEY

LITTLEMISSMONKEY New commenter

Thank you. I do agree, however, despite being good readers and being able to sound out unfamiliar words, our children have historically had issues passing the test.

Pomz likes this.
  4. Msz

Sending home pseudo words to read won't change that I'm afraid. If they can decode unfamiliar words why do you think they have problems with the words in the check?

5. derek_underwood79

derek_underwood79 Occasional commenter

I find that some children find it helpful to know when it is an 'alien' word that they are dealing with. The pseudo words have the weird alien character next to them. When they see this character they know that they are not looking for a word they already know.

Pomz likes this.
  6. derek_underwood79

I would include things that are relevant for that child. Do they have difficulty with ccvcc or cccvc blending? Give them lots of them. Do they not recognised one of the phonemes that comes up with regularity, ar, or, oi etc. Target them with that.

LITTLEMISSMONKEY likes this.
  7. Msz

That's why the teacher administering the check is directed to tell the child the words on this page are /aren't real.
    Last year I printed the check without the pictures and found it helped

8. Msz

If you are sending home a book consistent with the child's current phonic knowledge/ability as directed in the NC they will working with words that are relevant to them. There is no need for words in isolation.

9. derek_underwood79

Our children need practice with this idea. Well before the check.

10. derek_underwood79

The OP mentioned words in a pack, not books. She also mentioned the screening test.

11. Msz

And as I said send home words in isolation is a pointless exercise. If a child can accurately decode any word they encounter the PSC isn't a concern.

12. derek_underwood79

I think the idea is to give homework in the hope that children will learn something that they didn't know before. So if they do not recognise 'oi' then there is a possibility that homework consisting of coin, boil, join etc that they read with their parents may help them to learn it. If you think that words in isolation are a pointless exercise please explain why. The screening test is of course words in isolation, is it a pointless exercise?

13. derek_underwood79

As to the psuedo words, I think practice does help. One pupil today on reading 'ot' read it as 'to' but then corrected herself as she knew it was a 'monster' word. Children will look for meaning in words so need to practice reading words that have no meaning.

14. derek_underwood79

I teach phonics every day and we read words in isolation every day, Is this pointless?

15. Msz

I think the key word is teach.

16. derek_underwood79

Parents can't teach?

17. Msz

That's exactly the type of error pseudo words are meant to identify. The child isn't decoding left to right and looking closely at the words. Good readers read what's there not what they think should be there. The whole looking for meaning is an excuse.

18. Msz

Parents shouldn't need to compensate for poor practice.

19. Msz

The screening check is meant to identify children who aren't decoding accurately. Our job as teachers is to teach children to read not to waste time and effort preparing for something that will last for a whole two minutes of the child's life.

Bylro likes this.
  20. derek_underwood79

This is a very interesting point that you make. Are you saying that children should not be encouraged to look for meaning in the words that they read. When approaching a word where the grapheme represents multiple phonemes is looking for meaning in context of the sentence not useful?
    When you see that post on Fceaobok wrehe all the ltetres are mixed up, how do we read it so quickly. I always thought we rearranged the letters in our head until we found a combination that makes sense. My thinking was that the girl who read 'ot' as 'to' was doing the same as she decoded left to right with every other word.
    Do you have some sources you could give me to show that my own thoughts are wrong please. I have been teaching a lot of phonics for quite a few years and I am always interested to learn something new.

Bylro likes this.