1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Y1 phonic test results - trigger OFSTED?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by anon4092, Jul 15, 2012.

1. Our Y1 phonic results were dreadful (14%) and I am worried that this will trigger an OFSTED inspection. SMT don't appear concerned. Interested to know what other people think.

2. Our Y1 phonic results were dreadful (14%) and I am worried that this will trigger an OFSTED inspection. SMT don't appear concerned. Interested to know what other people think.

3. Msz

Msz Established commenter

4. We have very high numbers of EAL pupils (100% in our nursery) who miss large amounts of school when they go back to their home country but other similar schools in our area have achieved far better results. I have been concerned for a while that the teaching of phonics in our school is a bit hit and miss. I think some teachers simply teach the sounds and hope that children will just pick up blending. Spelling is another big problem with over reliance on being told how to spell a word rather than attempting to segment.

5. Msz

are you the Y1 teacher or literacy coordinator?

6. Literacy Coordinator

7. I work mostly with children who come into year 1 not segmenting or blending effectively (or in some cases, at all). With explicit teaching how to do it, they pick it up pretty quickly - without explicit teaching they can manage to not pick it up for a very long time. You're right!
    Incidentally, I've found that children who find segmenting difficult, pick it up best if they are encouraged to 'stretch' words - say them as slowly as possible, rather than going straight to trying to 'talk like a robot' - which they can only do if they can already segment, which rather defeats the object. Stretching enables them to start to hear the different sounds.
    Some children need lots of modelling of the stretching by an adult before they understand what it's about. For the ones who really find it hard, hand actions helped - almost as if pulling the word out of the mouth, so the first sound is while the hand is near the mouth, and the last sound is when the hand is as far from the mouth as possible. This worked with a little girl who struggled to hear initial sounds (she tended to remember the last sound she'd said, instead of the first one).
    Hope that helps a bit. Most teachers don't get taught any of this, but it makes a big difference for children who haven't clicked with segmenting and blending yet. (And they can 'not click' until they are in KS2 or even later if nobody helps them.) Some children will move on to ccvc and cvcc segmenting and blending on their own, but others need (lots) more modelling to be able to separate adjacent consonant sounds. The 'stretching' is really effective for getting children to hear the 'n' in 'went' for example - to start with an adult may need to do the stretching, and really emphasise the 'nnnnnn'. Sounding it out as 'w - e - n - t' (as separate sounds, rather than as a stretched word) doesn't necessarily help much if they can't actually hear the 'nnn' in the whole word. Once they realise that the sound is in there somewhere, they begin to be able to hear the sounds for themselves, and can do it independently.

8. Msz

I agree it should be taught explicitly and this should be happening right from the start.

9. Phonics lessons in Reception and Y1 are after last play in the afternoon! We have children leaving Y1 who "just can't blend". I wonder why?!

10. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

The time of the day is much less important than the actual teaching.

I do my phonics just before literacy, but that's when it fits for me. Reception do it just after lunch. Year 1 at all different times of the day.

If phonics is an issue go into lessons and have a look and see what is wrong. But if you are a KS2 teacher, who has never taught phonics, you might want to get a consultant in instead. Or better still work with the KS1/FS leaders to improve things.

Being as scathing as you have sounded on here will alienate those who can't see anything wrong. Until I moved to KS1, I would have been just as dismissive.

11. I am in KS1. I may appear scathing on here, as it irritates me that children are being failed, but obviously adopt a different approach in work. Thanks for the advice though.

12. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

If you teach in KS1 and are lit co-ord then you need to get on and do something about phonics teaching.

I joined KS1 last Sept and was appalled at the state of phonics teaching. Once I started to suggest changes and reasons for them, everyone else added their opinions on the dire state of phonics teaching. I resisted an exasperated 'then why the heck haven't you changed things before now!'

I would suggest you look in to what is wrong urgently and make the changes you see as urgent and necessary ready for September.

13. I would be using the results (in comparison with the other schools you mention) to really push the message that things are going badly wrong.
    Obviously you need to be diplomatic, but I'd call a special staff meeting about it and take the opportunity to push home the message that there is a problem with your school's phonics teaching; that other schools are doing it far better; that your phonics results will have a massive impact on your children's reading and that you absolutely <u>must </u>improve these outcomes.
    You could use Ofsted as another reason to push for the improvements you want to see (maybe this will persuade SMT that it's important?)
    Clearly, your staff need extra training. They won't be able to teach phonics effectively if nobody has ever taught them to. How are you going to do that?

14. Msz

I would put your concerns in writing to the head with suggestions for addressing the problem. Do staff need training? Do you have a programme? (or are you following L&S) Are there clear expectations for what most children will know what they leave each class? Are there assessments in place for the beginning of Y1/Y2? (not just the screening check)

15. I would love to, however I am at a school where the SMT do not like people bringing them problems. I have raised this issue several times and thought that when we got the results it would finally be the kick up the backside that was needed. It doesn't seem to have been though.After asking several times I was eventually released to observe some phonics lessons but when I discussed potential problems I was met with an aggressive attitude. I want the best for the kids and I also want to cover myself when OFSTED come (which I think will be sooner than when we 'are due' because of the poor results).

16. All teaching and support staff have had training from LA. People are using different programmes!! I have said that we need to have a common approach but it has fallen on deaf ears. I presume that assessments are being done as I collect CLLD data termly but have never been given a copy of any completed assessments. Does anyone know when in Y2 the children who didn't pass have to be retested?

17. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

So don't involve SLT then. Work out what is wrong and why, then come up with solutions. Then just tell SLT what their part in making the solutions happen will be.

I just swapped group teaching for class teaching and fought to get some practical resources. We also then looked at schemes and chose one that gave us freedom to teach in the ways we wanted while covering what we needed.

Unfortunately we then informed SLT a little too early as they then decided to buy us a different scheme and insisted we use it. Everyone was bemused and furious, but hey ho.

Just get on and sort it out and then tell SLT about it at the end would be my advice.

18. Wylfie

Wylfie New commenter

oh my lordy! find a copy of Letters and Sounds right away! (at the very least). Our school didn't teach phonics at all when i started 4 years ago but we started 3 years ago with letters and sounds and is taught for 20 mins a day, after register in foundation, y1 and 2. although not perfect we did achieve about 65% pass rate which we were pretty confident we would get because our levels in reading and writing have improved immensely over all. needs everyone in the school to be on board though or it won't work, go on give it a try! xxx

19. Year 2. Trying to find out when we need to retest those who have not passed. Mind you I expect half of them will have left by then and will have been replaced by new children. We have a very transient school population.

20. ARA says retest by the end of year 2 so presumably June again I suppose.