1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Y1 ideas needed!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by coombe9, Apr 20, 2011.

1. coombe9

coombe9 New commenter

i am in my 1st year working with a Y1/2 class, after spending 11 yrs in KS2 - mostly upper. Next week i am taking all the Y1's while the others sit the Y2 SAT's.

i have been given no suggestions as to what to do with them for the morning and i can do want i want really. Obviously i want it to be fun and productive though. i think i have some hall space and wonderd if any more exprienced KS1 teachers had any good ideas.

thanks alot

2. They need to know about positional language- under, over, around, in between

for my maths lesson I took them into the hall with all different equipment and then in pairs they told each other different positions to get into. Get wall bars out/benches etc and change them into kits to make experience even better!
    :)

3. I would focus on a book for a week. I've done 'Where the Wild Things Are' as a fantasy text. Don't get bogged down in the objectives etc just enjoy a creative week with them!!
    Things I've done in the past:
    • Make an island for your monster (playdoh and different craft materials). I gave them one of those monster finger things you can buy in supermarkets for party bags as their monster.
    • Visit each others island and encourage them to talk about them.
    • Monster small world play
    • Act out the story (use the hall!)
    • Monster movement (use the hall!)
    • Go on a monster hunt around the school and school field (make it cross curricular with the maths suggested above)
    • Map making/clues
    • Wanted posters
    • Write a recount of monster hunt
    • Do lots of work on adjectives/character descriptions - look at lots of different pics of monsters and describe them or write words around them
    • Practise acting out different adjectives (angry, scared etc)
    • Read different monster stories and compare
    • Use digital cameras or Flip cameras to take photos/record retelling
    • Sequence story
    • Painting/drawing monsters
    • A 'day in the life' of a monster
    • Mask making
    • Letters to monsters
    • Monster tea party - create weird food combinations and have them as a picnic outside!! (e.g. green biscuits, blue jelly!)
    Got carried away there....Hope it helps??! You could adapt it for any story?

4. coombe9

coombe9 New commenter

thank you! thats fab! This is the first post i've ever put on and i am really greatful.

I'll let you know how it goes.

x

5. Twinkles

Twinkles New commenter

They all sound like really great ideas - hope you have fun!
    Could I just ask though, who is taking your Y2s for SATS? I have a YR/1/2 class and I always do the SATS tests myself and have someone else in to cover my Reception and Y1 children. I'd love to have a week with just the younger ones.......although I have to admit 'Im a bit of a control freak and I wouldn't be sure anyone else would administer the tests exactly the way I would, so it may be better for me to do it this way!

6. coombe9

coombe9 New commenter

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I work in a team of 3 teachers. We have about 10-12 Y1' s in each class, so the other 2 teachers will split the Y2's between them and I will have the Y1's in the hall.
    I only have them for a morning, but thanks for the ideas.