1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Y1 classroom layout for September

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Teapot345, Jul 24, 2018.

1. Teapot345

Teapot345 New commenter

My first time setting up a classroom for September, hooray! I have taught Year 1 before but only ever from part way through the year, I've never done September/transition so this is my first time!

What does your classroom layout look like for September?

I will be using continuous provision until half term when I'm expected to change to whole class teaching if ready (can delay if class needs longer transition).

I have a book nook in one corner but no roleplay area, a very cluttered outdoor area, and minimal storage. Not allowed to hang stuff from ceiling/wall. I'm struggling with how to arrange tables so it doesn't seem so formal too early on.

Any ideas/advice?

Ta! From anxious RQT

2. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

I think you and the author of "preparing for September" need to have:) a chat

3. Teapot345

Teapot345 New commenter

Except they're asking about planning whereas I am asking about layout. D'oh!

4. Lucilla90

Lucilla90 Occasional commenter

I think @hammie may have meant that, as you have Year 1 experience, you may be able to help the other poster.

It’s about getting help AND sharing expertise, here on TES.

Teapot345 likes this.
  5. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

I'm assuming you didn't intend this to be quite as rude as it reads.
    Have the tables as singles around the edges and some in your outside area. A group or two of tables won't look formal if you have play based activities on them. Borrowing a tuff tray from reception might also be possible and can be put on a pair of tables.

The formality tends to come from the structure of the day and the activities more than the room layout.

1 person likes this.
  6. Teapot345

Teapot345 New commenter

Not intentionally - apologies if tone was misconstrued in that way!

Structure of the day is continuous provision with play based focus groups in the morning linked to Lit/Maths, including assessing and assessing phonics in week 1.

It just looks, in the current layout of tables, quite formal. I have quiet areas/safe spaces around the edge of the room (cohort needs) and accessible provision. The rest of the space still looks formal. No tuff tray, no roleplay, no small world, nothing hanging.

I've decluttered the outdoor area as much as I'm allowed.

Maybe I should move tables away from the walls instead? What do other Y1 classrooms look like in September?

7. Over_the_hill

Over_the_hill Star commenter

I think you need to check with your school. We are told how tables should be arranged in groups and it’s not up for discussion. When I was going into my NQT year I was told I could have a role play area. My friend going into Year 1 was not allowed a role play area as they children had to get on with formal learning straight away. Expectations for what Year 1 should look like differ from school to school and year to year (my class coming up are totally different to the class last year) so you have to go with the requirements of the school and the needs of the children.

Pomza and caterpillartobutterfly like this.
  8. ABCCBA123321

ABCCBA123321 Occasional commenter

My own kids are coming OUT of Y1 and they've had a role play area all year changing and linked to topics (very very very creative TA in there so there's been some spectacular ones) - and the kids have used it... but their teacher's lucky in that she's got a huge big classroom space to use for it. Even Y2 have a home corner in their classrooms in my kids' school (one of the reasons I picked it is that it doesn't drive to formal learning as early as some of the others around here).

9. Freeze!

Freeze! New commenter

If you’re allowed a role play area then that will take up 3 tables! Have activities on pairs of tables. You can even get some decorative pvc as a tablecloth to theme a pair of tables e.g. letters for writing area, numbers for maths area...

10. su_an

su_an New commenter

In my view, a larger play area is useful in the beginning as they are getting used to a new class. Identify slow children as quickly as possible and assign a separate table for them. Again large sitting or carpet area to engage them with you as you use the whiteboard.

11. caterpillartobutterfly

:eek::eek::eek:
    What century are we in again?!

Pomza and (deleted member) like this.
  12. ElizaMorrell

ElizaMorrell Occasional commenter

Slow children table? o_O
    Good way to destroy a few children. Definitely have a slow children table.

13. Over_the_hill

I’m lost for words (for once).

14. caterpillartobutterfly

I don't know if I'm more shocked by the term 'slow children' or the idea of assigning a separate table for them. :(

celago22 and (deleted member) like this.
  15. Over_the_hill

Both equally.

16. Melj16

Melj16 New commenter

I am fortunate to have a large classroom so I have managed to include a big role play area, a cosy reading nook, a writing area, construction area, sand pit and creative area. I will be setting up challenges around the areas from the second week. During the first week I intend on giving the children time to explore the classroom and the new areas (which are very different to when they visited on transition days). Establishing expectations, how to tidy etc. I've not taught Year 1 from September either. I'm quite excited!

17. celago22

celago22 Occasional commenter

Like others, I am completely shocked by this statement. You don't single children out for being 'slow'. Schools generally have a policy on seating plans and it might be that lower ability children are grouped together but only so that the TA or teacher can easily work with different groups to push them to wherever they need to be. You would then review the seating plan regularly and integrate different children of different abilities.

18. caterpillartobutterfly

Please use the term 'lower attaining' rather than ability.
    Children can have really high abilities, but need support in class because their abilities lie elsewhere.

19. celago22

celago22 Occasional commenter

Slap on the wrist accepted!

20. caterpillartobutterfly

Noooooooooo
    It was just a next step

Slow children (1970s-1980s)
    Low ability children (1990s-2000s)
    Lower attaining children (2010s-?)

su_an and celago22 like this.