1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Y1/2 mixed age class

Discussion in 'Primary' started by nickinoodles, Aug 31, 2018.

1. nickinoodles

nickinoodles New commenter

Hi, I'm looking for some advice!

This year, I'll be teaching a mixed-age Year 1 and 2 class of 30 pupils. There are three classes in KS1 (the other two classes are straight-forward Y1 and Y2). I will have low-average Y2s (including quite a few SEND) and average-high ability Y1s.

This is only a one-off for this year and we will be reverting back to four classes in KS1 next year. This is causing me problems with what I should teach! If we were keeping mixed-age classes for the foreseeable future, I could devise a 'rolling' programme to ensure children aren't repeating topics. However, in this situation, I am struggling to figure out a solution. If I teach my usual Y1 topics, the Y2s will be repeating them. I can't teach the Y2 topics because the Y1s will be doing them next year in a pure Y2 class! My main issues are with Science and the foundation subjects. Maths can be differentiated and I've resigned myself to having to plan teaching completely different English texts this year (we are a T4W school).

Please help! Any advice gratefully received as I have been wracking my brains all summer!

2. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Do totally and utterly different topics and embrace the freedom!
    What are your class interested in? Learn about that.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Brilliant suggestion. :D Real scope to get creative for the year and cover yr 1 and yr 2 objectives, whilst ensuring there won't be too much repetition next year.