1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Y1/2 Maths - near Doubles

Discussion in 'Primary' started by jellybellysmum, Feb 25, 2011.

1. Any one got any good ideas how to teach this. I have been using new collins primary maths and my kids just not getting the recording. They can tell me that 20+23 is double 20 and 3 more (eventually) but recording it has totally driven me mad today. They all did it on the board, we did it practically yesterday and this morning, i drew it and they could do that but once asked to record other q's (double 10 and 20 for HA, and double 5 for LA)some just couldnt get it. I have 2 EAL chn and they managed to get it. The trouble is they just chat constantly. They tell me what they have to do but by the time they go and sit down, have a chat to a few people on the way, have a gorp out of the window, talk to someone else on the table and actually come to get on with the question, they have forgotten what it is they were supposed to do. Then they come back to me and interrupt while im trying to help someone else. I constantly stop the chn and demonstrate again, have various examples on the board showing them exactly how to set it out, which they then ignore. I felt like I was banging my head against a brick wall today, with no in class support either. The chn who got it, were then having to wait around for the other chn to finish, so worked in role play and small world area, but they got noisy so i had to keep asking them to be quiet so the other chn could work! What a day and I just dont know how we can move on to the next lesson if they are still unsure! HELP PLEASE!!!

2. Any one got any good ideas how to teach this. I have been using new collins primary maths and my kids just not getting the recording. They can tell me that 20+23 is double 20 and 3 more (eventually) but recording it has totally driven me mad today. They all did it on the board, we did it practically yesterday and this morning, i drew it and they could do that but once asked to record other q's (double 10 and 20 for HA, and double 5 for LA)some just couldnt get it. I have 2 EAL chn and they managed to get it. The trouble is they just chat constantly. They tell me what they have to do but by the time they go and sit down, have a chat to a few people on the way, have a gorp out of the window, talk to someone else on the table and actually come to get on with the question, they have forgotten what it is they were supposed to do. Then they come back to me and interrupt while im trying to help someone else. I constantly stop the chn and demonstrate again, have various examples on the board showing them exactly how to set it out, which they then ignore. I felt like I was banging my head against a brick wall today, with no in class support either. The chn who got it, were then having to wait around for the other chn to finish, so worked in role play and small world area, but they got noisy so i had to keep asking them to be quiet so the other chn could work! What a day and I just dont know how we can move on to the next lesson if they are still unsure! HELP PLEASE!!!

3. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

How old are your class? Do they 'need' to record it? I'd say if they are KS1 children then recording matters less than understanding of the concept which they seem to have got.
    Relax and move on. Maybe revisit in starters next week with them on the carpet recording on whiteboards, but don't stress over the recording.

If they are KS2 then work on their study skills.If they aren't getting on with their work quickly in KS2 then that is a bigger problem than whether they can record near double work.

4. Thanks for that, they are mixed y1/2. I'll have a revisit in starter next week. I didnt used to stress about recording but now im being told to make sure all work is recorded, for evidence.

5. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Record it on your plan then, if you need evidence.

6. AAAArgh! See earlier post about a depressed profession. Is it any wonder?!!!

7. It's a shame that annotating your plans is not considered evidence (you could just "all able to double numbers except for ............"). If this is not considered good enough - why not photocopy work children have already done on whiteboards.
    BTW, I agree that this is an example for the 'depressed' thread.

8. We have to have everything in books for evidence too - we've started writing short blurbs about what the children have done, and sticking them into the books when there is no formal recording, though thats only really feasible if you have a TA to help. For example "Today Class 1 investigated near doubles using mini whiteboards. We found out that when you want to solve a problem like 20+23, you can find the answer by doubling 20 and adding 3."

The *only* good thing about it is that when books are being checked by powers that be, they can see the hard work you have put into your lessons even when the kids haven't written anything.

9. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Take pictures of them doing it practically and glue them in books. Get the children to write a caption explaining what they were doing?