1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

'y' and 'g' confusion - resources/advice needed!

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by jeniren, Dec 13, 2010.

1. Hi,
    I've just started in my first post as an ASN teacher having previously taught mainstream. I have one child with suspected dyslexia and is confusion a lot of pairs of letters e.g. 'b' and 'd', 'p' and 'q', 'y' and 'g'. I've been looking for ideas/resources on dealing with this and the only one I'm struggling with is 'y' and 'g'.

Can anyone please help?

2. sp *confusing

3. Has the pupil had vision thoroughly checked?

4. The best way to teach letters that are being confused is to use writing as another memory prompt. Teach the correct formation/action for writing the letter and encourage the child to write the letter several times whilst saying the sound.Young children do tend to confuse letters that are visually similar especially if they are introduced to them together- a good tip for teaching literacy strugglers is to never teach any two things together that can be confused!

5. Cheers everyone for your suggestions/advice. Sorry it's taken so long to reply but TES don't make it easy to keep track of forum posts (or maybe it's just me!).

I'll give them a go and see how it goes.