1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

XR is fascinating.

Discussion in 'Personal' started by SEBREGIS, Apr 22, 2019.

1. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

Doubtless some countries have an active nuclear program but we need to reduce emissions today. Not in ten years' time.

Earlier today, you were talking about all the changes you had made that would help to reduce emissions. That doesn't sound selfish.

2. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

The government knows people are venal, the government is venal. Managing venality is important.

3. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Unfortunately, sweets, it is a whole world problem. Remember, we haven't even started on those who want to raise their standard of living towards the median.

4. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

Clearly not everyone will forfeit holidays for renewable energy, and even if they did do the things on your list would it be enough? I counted myself in the tech land damage since I'm typing here using that, we use actually make opportunity cost judgments on how our purchases affect us not the planet and blaming governments and business just passes the buck since it is our conspicuous consumption that damages our environment... Our every single decision to purchase, that paint to DIY over Easter the removals for your house move etc etc and onward no one is blameless.

This is the age of the internet and ignorance of the damage we cause both individually and collectively is no justification... We don't need protests to educate, they already know, some choose to deny but we need people who want to reduce their impact.

5. needabreak

I'm far from sweet Rac. Of course it is a global issue we've covered that above, I was addressing the issue of UK subsidies. If protesters need other countries to change perhaps they should focus on raising awareness in those countries who have taken no action to reduce damage.

racroesus likes this.
  6. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

And me hoping to be communicating with someone unlike Maleficent.

needabreak likes this.
  7. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Yup.

8. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

Those who pollute most likely have it.

We would not need so many and could likely beat that average for each.

I have not seen the science behind this forecast so I am neutrally sceptical of it.

9. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

Maths_Shed likes this.
  10. needabreak

Ok I'm likely not quite there... But sweet might be pushing it if I count the number of times the other half seems to feel the need to remind me to be "nice", although the sceptic in me just hears "be easily led, manipulated and don't disagree with me"... Perhaps he's a version of Maleficent... Or just another freak, I attract them in real life you know :eek:

11. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

He's playing my role; you are simply turning into another Maleficent.

12. Maths_Shed

Maths_Shed Occasional commenter

On the nuclear power issue, when we go into economic and societal breakdown there will be 450 nuclear power plants around the world with no decommissioning plan and no resources with which to do it, even if there were a plan. We've only had a few accidents so far.

13. Maths_Shed

The science is coming thick and fast and is overwhelming.

Melting permafrost in Arctic will have $70tn climate impact – study

https://www.theguardian.com/environ...-study?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Copy_to_clipboard

14. needabreak

That's no compliment is it Rac? o_O

15. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Lead commenter

Are we sending aid or anything to Brazil? Or any of those S Am countries that don't give a flying one?

16. needabreak

Good point... Though justification for not helping provide clean water, sanitation and food might outweigh that train of thought if we do.

17. nizebaby

nizebaby Lead commenter

How blOody patronizing!

18. Maths_Shed

Labour party now endorsing XR

19. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

That your other half is playing my role? No compliment. That you are turning into another Maleficent? A great compliment.

20. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Every day in every way I practise to be better at being bloody patronizing.