1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

XR is fascinating.

Discussion in 'Personal' started by SEBREGIS, Apr 22, 2019.

1. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

2. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Limiting my fishing. The approaches you suggest limit me to what I can do within my local area. I would have to forego some things that I would like to do because they are not necessary for life. Things may well come to that although I think that if I can't fly to a foreign destination then there will also be much worse things happening but my argument is that I do not see why I must be first to make sacrifices especially as my sacrifices will achieve nothing without similar sacrifices from many others around the world. I am not suggesting that I shall increase my footprint until it is the same size as the biggest existing footprint but I already suffer from not having the same access to resources as wealthier people.

3. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

Every government in temperate lands would need to do the same, its a fair point but did we not have a few years where this was available it was only reduced then stopped fairly recently did it not and lower income families can still get help with insulation, just not double glazing.

Havent they committed to developments in a new wave of nuclear fuel (not idealbut a move away from other fossil fuel sources and saves us buying French nuclear fuel) ... and quite a few energy companies provide energy created by renewables, perhaps its a tad more expensive and we as individuals prioritise our holidays and handbags.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2019
  4. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Some of us were taking very small steps.

5. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

More for our fellow mammals:

JACK THE FLIPPER - Killer whales are massacring great white sharks by squeezing them ‘like tubes of toothpaste’ to extract their livers
    TheSun.co.uk, 22nd April 2019.

Great White Sharks are considerably more endangered than Killer Whales and this might explain why. Perhaps Extinction Rebellion will start hunting them down. They might start invading aquaria, given that they have taken to occupying tourist destinations, the killjoys.

6. SEBREGIS

SEBREGIS Senior commenter

I commend anyone who shows that versatility. I’ve done much the same myself, to be honest.

But my arguement is that the nature of the jobs out there is changing. I could switch from teaching to training - but could I master e-learning software to a standard which would get me a job? And what are my chances compared to a twenty year old? Technology is gradually removing traditional jobs and creating niche areas, which will in turn be replaced by technology.

In the 1980s, being able to write computer code was a highly paid skill. Then companies started to develop bolt together utilities so that a lot of business software was just a slightly modified front end on a standard database, easily assembled. Today many programmes are written by other programmes, so even coding is an endangered skill.

What happens when we just don’t need people any more?

As for managing expectations - I don’t think it’s unreasonable to hope for a degree of job security and to develop my skills in one field so that it’s worth an employer paying me more this year than last. The need to progress in ones career is important, surely?

7. needabreak

If you have skills talents and attributes that are valuable and the younger person doesn't have them you are in prime position, just keep your chin up and carry on as you have been, physical ability may change over time but as you know there's usually something that will earn you a crust... Whether you enjoy it or are motivated to leave will depend interns and conditions, often people underestimate their abilities staying in jobs they no longer like for fear of the unknown, for me the unknown holds endless possibilities and as Rac mentioned much may lie in one's approach, but also in the ability to see deferred gratification as acceptable until you reach that job that may increase your remuneration. That said you don't just get things because you are older and the balls still need juggling.

1 person likes this.
  8. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

I understand. I travelled the world and even worked abroad to pursue my interests until 12 years ago when I made a decision to live a different, low impact lifestyle. I haven't regretted it but then I have already done a lot of the exciting things others may have to forego.

Most places I have travelled to have been poor and the carbon footprint of those people has been way below mine, and still is. We all have to do our bit. If everyone says "my bit won't help" and as a result resolves to do nothing until everyone else does something similar, we'll get nowhere.

We have created the current warming and we have some responsibility to act. Hopefully those now adding to it will get on board and we can make progress to keeping the earth a reasonable place to live.

racroesus likes this.
  9. Scintillant

There isn't the time to develop the nuclear sector. It takes way too long to get new nuclear power stations online.

10. Vince_Ulam

Do you draw any imperative from this?

11. Vince_Ulam

How much time do you think is needed to build sufficient nuclear power stations and plug them into our national grid?

12. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Correct.
    The line for assistance was too low. If we want more people to do the necessary we need to incentivise more people.

13. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

This is where I'm like climate Brexiteers but while Brexit will be irreversible for many years I feel that if more people stopped doing anymore than they do at present then perhaps the wide world will get its **** in gear. Or maybe not. I never suggested that technology would have the answers because I always thought it would only help the few.
    In any case; I'm for Paris in my 71st year.

14. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Wait for the other killer whales to learn about this.

15. Scintillant

Many countries do not have the capacity to build them

But the average time taken to build 441 reactors operational in 2016 was 7.5 years with 371 completed in ten or under ten years. Add in the initial stages before construction starts and then after construction but before operation and it will be even longer.

We have perhaps 11 years by when to have made the changes we need to make and reduce our emissions to avert a rather unpleasant climate scenario.

16. needabreak

But are they not doing that as we type?

17. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

I don't think the Germans are building them, or the Japanese.

18. needabreak

Indeed because unless there's something in it for them they will continue to prioritise their gadgets and holidays, short termism and selfishness in human nature is rife isn't it, yet we still want to paste the blame on other people, preferably a corporate body or Government because that is easy.

19. needabreak

Our Government dear, do keep up. I'm sure I've dealt with UK actions being a drop in the ocean earlier as have others.

racroesus likes this.
  20. needabreak

Not so renewables. Companies are providing energy from renewables but how many people are prioritising flights, handbags and glad rags over the cost of it? Individuals are selfish end of, even those totalitarian dictators that would tell us how best to live often come up with a do as I say not as I do regime.