1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

XR is fascinating.

Discussion in 'Personal' started by SEBREGIS, Apr 22, 2019.

1. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

Perhaps I should be clearer, most of those jobs were not as a teacher and a fair few were after I qualified but took me away from education, we are not compelled to follow traditional paths for life any more. I learned that watching the 80's cial/iron and steel industry debarkle. Many folk from other countries are used to this, they will relocate or retrain or do other jobs to get by rather than sitting around moaning about the changing labour market where they live.

As for being paid the same, that is a specific expectation that also needs to be managed along with time off and holiday money/cottages, cars etc, this isn't new and I've said it before... That's probably why I'm so unpopular in these here parts (having been called angry bitter etc blah blah when I raised this before, BTW I'm far from angry/bitter) ... I'm including myself in this though I count myself lucky to have listened to my dear old mum would have simply said "you cut your cloth", yet everyone wants 'things'.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2019
  2. needabreak

Indeed.

We are now post industrial wondering what to do with our free time apparently. ;)

3. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

I actually said this:

There may be, but if large numbers of scientists from across the globe repeatedly telling governments they are destroying the planet hasn't worked, I'm not sure I can think of much else to try.

It was a good programme and will have reached people who were not up to speed. XR have been campaigning for a fair old while now but Attenborough was late to the climate change debate.

4. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

Have you the figures on this?

5. Maths_Shed

Maths_Shed Occasional commenter

Because what we have done up to now has not worked. The public have been duped.

We need to stop use of fossil fuels accept that doing so will lead to economic and societal collapse and make plans whilst we can.

6. needabreak

Late? There are all sorts of issues he's raised concern about over the years (and he's several years older than many of those protestors) but if folk weren't watching, listening or paying attention then who's fault is that?

7. Scintillant

8. needabreak

What fuel do you propose? Or should we just stock up on Shetland wool?

*Feels a prepper debate coming along... With the end of the world statement.
    Sex used to sell, now its doom and gloom. I repeat in the long run we are all dead.

9. needabreak

I was referring to your comment that Attenborough was late to the debate.

This link does nothing to tell me why I should support the protestors. I take it you have been posting from the streets of London these last few days, how do they get the superglue off your bum?

How do we know the Americans haven't just read/watched a bit more than usual online, are we to believe the protests in London impacted on their change of view?

10. Scintillant

Yes. I don't make this stuff up you know

However, despite regularly expressing serious concern about the impacts and implications of climate change, Attenborough readily admits that it took him a long time to be fully convinced about the underlying science.

Writing in the Independent in 2005, he said:

“I was sceptical about climate change. I was cautious about crying wolf…But I’m no longer sceptical. Now I do not have any doubt at all. I think climate change is the major challenge facing the world. I have waited until the proof was conclusive that it was humanity changing the climate.

“The thing that really convinced me was the graphs connecting the increase of CO2 in the environment and the rise in temperature, with the growth of human population and industrialisation. The coincidence of the curves made it perfectly clear we have left the period of natural climatic oscillation behind and have begun on a steep curve, in terms of temperature rise, beyond anything in terms of increases that we have seen over many thousands of years.”

Bear in mind that in 2004 I was teaching children about climate change and telling them not to worry because we'll sort something out in good time.

Maths_Shed likes this.
  11. Scintillant

If you pay attention, you'll see that my reply is to a comment by Vince,

needabreak likes this.
  12. needabreak

When did this group start? Prior to 2005?

13. Vince_Ulam

No, here per:

14. needabreak

OK. He's still blocked for me so that's a downside... Can't remember why I blocked him now but ho hum.

15. Vince_Ulam

If I am blocked then how do you know that we agree?

You might as well unblock me if your grudge is not significant enough to recall its cause.

16. Jude Fawley

Jude Fawley Star commenter

The thing that irritates me about these bank holiday movements like Extinction Rebellion is how they splinter as soon as they have sight of victory. Another thing is how a lot of them are openly using products that they tell us are destroying the planet and that it's our fault. It's their personal fault as well.

And the rubbish they leave behind! Reminds me again of university and how the middle class insipids wanted to save the planet but couldn't even keep their rooms clean and tidy.

17. Scintillant

Ok, that makes sense.

His posts are always well thought out and often humorous too. Well worth unblocking.

18. needabreak

I can see the likes and others comments when things look confusing you can click on see ignored posts. Our previous disagreements must have been fairly significant for me to hit ignore as I rarely do.

19. Vince_Ulam

Which is why use of the Ignore facility has always seemed to me such a pose.

I am glad you have come to your senses.

20. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

The UK fossil CO2 emissions in 2017 were ~65% of those in 1990. The USA's were >100% of 1990. How much pain should I suffer now to ease the plight for the USA in light of the fact that when things really go **** up they will still be able to buy relief but I will suffer even more pain? I also have closer and easier connections to the masses heading my way for relief compared to the smaller masses heading for the Donald's wall.