1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

XR is fascinating.

Discussion in 'Personal' started by SEBREGIS, Apr 22, 2019.

1. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

There's no such thing as a free lunch.

2. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

Dying to see how the governments of China and Russia would respond to the kind of activism seen in London. I highly doubt it would be limited to taking down your particulars and sending them off to repeat as desired.

They're the ones getting ahead by making a mess, not us. We're small fry already doing small things.

needabreak likes this.
  3. needabreak

We could ask you the same thing.

4. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

Perhaps have a look at what the science says we are heading for. There is no excuse to be ignorant of this anymore.

5. Scintillant

I am not simply moaning. I am encouraging people to take positive action in their lives to address the problem and taking such action myself.

6. needabreak

We aren't ignorant, nor are we ignoring your list of suggestions as I have now said 3 TIMES... but now explain why we need to jump on this current social media led bandwagon to encourage civil disruption in our Capital city? Other than perhaps try to alleviate our collective concience and feel more worthy.?

7. needabreak

See above... For the 4th time I can tell you I tick your boxes, except jumping on the latest bandwagon. I am not a sheep, I am not easily manouvered by a pack mentality thus am hesitant to leap onto this bandwagon... It adds little but drama to the science.

8. Scintillant

No has been listening. Too much time has been wasted. Even on these threads there are people still claiming there is no problem. It is only quite recently that climate change is being more accepted. This campaign has worked.

9. Scintillant

Of course you do. So well done you.

Carry on.

10. SEBREGIS

SEBREGIS Senior commenter

Oh Lord, you don't want to start doing that! :)

I'm not against capitalism as such, but I do think that when you look at the growth of technology, it shows a pattern of boom and bust. Some technologies (like the railway) brought huge growth in jobs. More often, it's just been used to make businesses 'more efficient', meaning cuts and lower wages. And I'm not seeing a lot of evidence that its going to create new opportunities for my Year 11s. Quite the contrary. I'm in an area where the most common job is shoving things in boxes for Amazon or Ocado, and that's going to be a thing of the past soon (although I'm pretty sure it was the droids who burned down the warehouse recently...)

At some point, we're going to need to think hard about the purpose of work.

If it's to earn a living, then that is going to be increasingly difficult for the unskilled. At what point do we have to educate our students to use their leisure time better, because none of them will have jobs so they had better learn how to write poems and paint watercolours? And home economics because living on benefits is not easy.

And at what point do we start saying that anyone who wants to work is entitled to a certain amount of hours a week, because otherwise what are we? What price human dignity?

11. SEBREGIS

Because sometimes civil disorder brings about change. Gandhi...MLK...etc etc.
    But we each have to decide if its the right tool for the job.

12. needabreak

I'm not debating that, I asked why I should support this act of civil disorder.

13. needabreak

I don't need your approval or instruction to carry on, I was not boasting just letting you know your expectations are being met by some of us and asking what else you want done and why.

14. needabreak

Or do we simply need to manage expectations? Something we have failed to do for decades.

15. Scintillant

Because it is bringing the issue of irreversible climate change and the likely breakdown of our societies in coming years to public attention and engaging people in discussion of those issues.

16. needabreak

There's no other effective way? Despite the communications media that facilitates the action, we need people to travel to the venue and cause more environment damage to make themselves feel better? How about they challenge the status quo via means without that action itself causing a negative impact on the earth.

Personally I feel Attenborough did a better job, although as a consequence of his information transfer media these sheep jumped on their soap box thinking they will have more of an impact.

17. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

Perhaps the occasional provocateur.

Nobody accepted climate change until last week?

needabreak likes this.
  18. SEBREGIS

And I'm sure you will continue to do so. It shouldn't be hard for a teacher to learn new skills and move on.

On the other hand, how many posts have we seen from teachers saying 'I want to leave this profession but I can't' I have no idea what else I can do and nothing pays the same?

19. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

Pseudo-science:p

20. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

The PROBLEM is the problem and it has been hijacked by a bunch of middle class leftward looking lunatics.