1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

XR is fascinating.

Discussion in 'Personal' started by SEBREGIS, Apr 22, 2019.

1. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

Where is this mass unemployment you are thinking of?

2. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Translated: Government must parrot what we believe and any effort to counter our worldview is a lie.
    Translated: We write nice things that have little meaning when studied closer. In the 20th century the UK forestry went from 4% to 13% of the country... forest biodiversity is doing fine. Hedgehogs went from 40 million [1945] to about a million today because one of their primary food sources [dog waste] was removed from the habitat by well meaning people. We have programmes for the reintroduction of beaver and wolves into the UK. So they really mean biodiversity abroad. So again, why aren't they protesting outside the embassies of Brazil, the DRC or Indonesia? And who are we to tell those countries not to develop as we have? Cultural Imperialism much? As for CO2, somehow I doubt the solution of ''build nuclear reactors'' will go down well with these folks...
    A citizens' Assembly? Oh we could call that... hmmm... thinking... thinking... a Parliament.

Though they've not been doing such a good job lately.

Ah well I'm going to get on with enjoying my bank holiday.

>Looks at the XR crowd<

Ouch so many white people...:D

needabreak and Vince_Ulam like this.
  3. Maths_Shed

Maths_Shed Occasional commenter

Economies and governments will collapse whatever action is or isn't taken by governments, individuals or movements.

XR are doing so much more than protest and disruption, they are building networks and communities in preparation for the time when we need that.

Scintillant likes this.
  4. needabreak

What do you suggest? Revolution? :rolleyes: what do you hope to come from change better? Where's the proof it will be better or worth the upheaval?

Or shall we just all jump on this latest bandwagon because we are by nature selfish, yet feeling powerless and dissatisfied with our lives in some way?

Vince_Ulam and (deleted member) like this.
  5. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

You are comparing our current economic & political system with those of which Utopia?

What do you propose we do about this? Overthrow the systems which have brought us almost unrivalled prosperity, health & education for hundreds of years?

6. Maths_Shed

Economies and governments will collapse whatever action is or isn't taken by governments, individuals or movements.

XR are doing so much more than protest and disruption, they are building networks and communities in preparation for the time when we need that.

7. Vince_Ulam

So we should simply dismantle them now and replace them with... what?

News to me. Please provide links.

8. Maths_Shed

Those systems have not been at no cost, we have been presented the bill and the bailiffs will soon be at the door.

1 person likes this.
  9. Vince_Ulam

So, what, we should install Santa Claus as dictator?

10. Maths_Shed

Ultimately the only answer I can give is that we all immediately take the steps detailed by scintillant, support XR and give ourselves the maximum amount of thinking time to figure out what to do. Stiff upper lip and business as usual is the wrong attitude.

Scintillant likes this.
  11. SEBREGIS

SEBREGIS Lead commenter

Its on the way.

But we're already feeling the effects of de-skilling. Zero hours contracts, unskilled, low paid jobs which offer no security. Even things like pizzas will soon be delivered by drones or driverless cars. The people experiencing poverty at the moment are not the unemployed, but the working poor. We may have low unemployment figures but that's quite artificial.

Ask yourself this - if you had to leave your current job for some reason, how easy would it be to find another at the same wage? And then imagine being called into a meeting and shown the new AI interface which means your students will now be getting taught by their laptop and a low paid TA...

12. Vince_Ulam

Why should we unconditionally support people about whom we have so little information except that they are repeatedly involved in movements who wish to overthrow our economy & government?

Can you see no problems with your proposal?

13. SEBREGIS

SEBREGIS Lead commenter

I don't have the answers. I'm just saying that refusing to look beyond a current system which may no longer be fit for purpose isn't a very good idea.

Maths_Shed likes this.
  14. Vince_Ulam

If you are proposing to change our current economic & political systems then you should have some ideas about how you wish to change them, otherwise you should reconsider what you have been told by groups like Extinction Rebellion.

15. SEBREGIS

SEBREGIS Lead commenter

What kind of idiot would make a major economic and political change without having fully examined the implications of what they are voting for? Can you honestly see that happening in this country?

Oh...

More seriously - nope. I don't know what would work better than what we have now. But I'm ready to listen to alternatives and I'm also convinced that the change we need has to be pretty significant, not cosmetic.

16. needabreak

This is interesting, scaremongering of this nature has been going on for decades, what it refers to however is change... Development... Growth, just because we don't like the way the change is developing doesn't mean it's not 'organic' in nature, I really don't think there is an over arching enemy called Capitalism dictating such change. Meanwhile the management or control of such change is likely not going to achieve an overall desired effect as we have seen with many wholly planned economies... This debate has not changed for decades but the focus and terminology shifts. Crumbs it appears I agree with Vince to some extent.

17. Vince_Ulam

Good, then you understand the dangers of jumping feet-first into supporting populist movements such as Extinction Rebellion.

I am ready to listen to alternatives but all I hear are calls for 'rebellion'.

18. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

It's a global issue.

No, the protests are largely the result of our scientific understanding of climate change. Things have to change. Those countries will suffer much more than we will if we do not address matters

Irrelevant. There is not the time to build such facilities.

No, it the science.

It is a global problem. We lost a lot of forest in the past. All those bare hills should forest. That sort of rewilding (removal of pasture) would be great and would remove CO2

Perhaps that will come. Why are you simply moaning on the internet when we are facing such major problems?

19. needabreak

What I see here is a difficulty in managing expectations, I have had hundreds of jobs because I don't believe in a job for life., From an early age I realised I just had to do what was required to get by to the next stage that I wanted to be at. I like many others have transferable skills and those which I continue to develop which I use consistently to ensure I am employed (since you asked).

1 person likes this.
  20. needabreak

I've ticked those boxes as I have already said, so now tell me why I should support this civil disorder again?